most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp >

most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp

Notices

most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp

Old 02-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp

I agree with what everyone said, that`s way I have a slip for the boat I wish more people would practice during the middle of the week putting the the boat on and off the trailer. They would feel more confident when it come time for the weekend and they have to put on a show
Old 02-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by masi242
they have to put on a show
Oh man thats a great idea for episode of powerboat tv............a weekend at the ramp!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like watching the idiots.

We were launching my boat one time, when another boater came over and asked for help. I do have a "system" worked out at my local ramp and can launch and retrieve my boat myself, so I sent my two friends over to help him out. The guy proceeds to disconnect the strap and the safety chain at the top of the ramp, with a roller trailer. Sure enough, as soon as he started moving, the boat started rolling off the trailer. By this time, I had my boat in the water and tied up, and I had come over to assist as well. The boat landed on the ramp a good 10-15 feet from the water, behind the trailer. I took a quick look at the situation, then told the guy "alright, keep backing up". Used the trailer to push the boat down the ramp and into the water. My thinking was, then he could pull it back out on the trailer and assess the damage. Nope, he parked the car, got in, and drove away. This was an old sea-ray, probably an early 80's model, if not older.

I can launch and retrieve my boat myself, but there is some risk involved because I have to leave the truck. I put it in 4 low and in park, then set the parking brake. Low range reduces the stress on the parking pawl, as does the parking brake. The parking brake itself is not strong enough to hold the boat and truck on a grade. One ramp, one line, and i can usually back it in pretty quickly and get out of the way of everyone else. But then again, i'm in a 27', so it's probably a lot easier than dealing with a 40' er.

Last edited by sleeper_dave; 02-09-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dukenrock
shut up when I told him I burned more gas that day than his boat was worth.

Awesome comeback
Old 02-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Registered

My biggest B#%$* comes from the NYS Park Office. After I park the truck and trailer, spend the night on the boat, come back the next day, I find a nasty gram from the office on my truck. States that overnight parking is not allowed. Hello???Anyone else see a problem here?

I also like the guy that feels it neccessary to wade into the water, up to his waist, to launch his 20' boat
Old 02-11-2007, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The closest ramp to my house has 50' docks, spaced wide enough for three to launch abreast IF the idjust closest to the docks can back next to them.. Rarely happens... When it does, I shoot down the middle and launch to much shouting and finger waving.. Not sure what their problem is, I just ignore them.. Most of the time however, they are so far from the docks on either side you have to wait for them to pull their trailers out and go park. I just stand there twiddling my thumbs because they all seem to think that their 20' boat has to be tied up close to the ramp rather than walking it to the end of the dock so others can launch...
Attached Thumbnails most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp-toyotasunk_1.jpg   most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp-ramp.jpg  
Old 02-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think I've seen it all- watched a tri-hull roll off a roller trailer on a steep concrete ramp when the winch rope broke -just like the photo above!, seen jetskiers and wakeboarders plane right past the ramp rocking boats and pissing poeple off, and watched a hundred a-holes load there stuff on to the boat AT THE RAMP (instead of at home or in the parking lot). This thread is hilariious. Boat ramps are goat rodeos.

Last edited by socalstone; 06-26-2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: emphasis baby emphasis
Old 02-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the pic with the sub-truck.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:14 PM
sandman
Gold Member

Is that a SUBurban? ha ha
Old 02-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Registered

Practice, Practice Practice. I did, with and without my husband. We/I have a system. I can drive it, trail it, launch it, secure it, Park it. I get a little chapped by the folks who think I just got "in the cab". I don't take my eyes off or direction from anyone but my husband. He's the captain.
If we screw up its on us.
Practice and Preparation are the keys.

BTW, its a triple axle trailer, 35 fountain, with a crew cab duallie,,,care to dance??

Quick Reply: most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.