Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Comparable to Cig, Outerlimits, & Nortech (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/150804-comparable-cig-outerlimits-nortech.html)

ZP'd 02-07-2007 09:55 AM

Re: Comparable to Cig, Outerlimits, & Nortech

Originally Posted by Buddy OO (Post 2017778)
Was on Mentalpauses boat at the Shootout, I thought the boat had some neat features throughout. Sunsation put alot of thought into the ergonomics. very nice Mcloed interior, nice rigging,The hull seemed solid, fit finish was nice and performance for that size of boat was very good, I know John is happy with it, There 28 and 32 are very good boats for the money. Comparing it to the big three is very complicated as each manufacturer has carved it's own niche in the market.Nortech purposely avoids the race thing as they are interested in the high end pleasure market, I would be happy with any of them.

Couldn't agree more about the 288 and 32SS Hell of a lot of boats for the money. The 288 never claimed to be a wave smasher, hell it's a pad hull!

I always notice right away rub rail and inserts, then eye gel work. Walk over the Sundeck, (shoeless of course!) then take a peak how the wiring is supported from the engine compartment up to the panels to get a idea of quality. If I want to see more I go to the factory. The things you easily see seem to be a good judge on how much attention they pay to detail where you can't see, unless ya tour the plant. And I have been there to see the rest.

The 28 and 32SS is a big step up from a mass produced Boat and can compete with many others in their size range in terms of fit/finish and mold work.

No splices in the rub rail OR insert on their 28' and 32, wiring secured about every 4-6 inches under the engine hatch, loomed where it needs to be, plus the wiring under the panels is secured VERY well and wrap tied every inch. Very neatly done and not some spaggetti bowl job you'll see on the mass produced B boats. Nothing screams cheap to me more then eyeing the gel work of a smaller performance boat for the first time and seeing spliced rubrails, screws holdng windscreens, etc. etc. (sometimes 2-4 splices:rolleyes: ) Don't need to crawl in the nooks and crannys of a boat to know what attention to detail the rest of the boat will have when they are to cheap to spend some money on the rub rail and insert. The leftover splice jobs look like chit.

No-one at Sunsation ever claimed to have the best boat out there but their 28 and 32 SS are far from production type build quality. They've gone the extra mile plus on the F-4 to raise some eyebrows. Seeing it in person and learning how the boat was built was very impressive. With world class Customer Service as standard at Sunsation, the orders will keep coming in.

epeek 02-07-2007 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by otis311 (Post 2018288)
Hey Tank, Deep down Rick really does love Cigs !!

He wont be complaining in 10 days while we are out cruising around So Florida in My Gladiator

True...but its winter..gotta start a little trouble. :drink:

otis311 02-07-2007 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by epeek (Post 2018360)

I figured as much, You will have to answer to these Cig folks as I introduce them to you at the show and the parties

drypipetiger 02-07-2007 11:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by epeek (Post 2018360)

We love you anyhow Reggie, Jr. :drink:

thisistank 02-07-2007 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by 100-Plus (Post 2018059)
Does anybody really buy a boat because it has "world champion" painted or slapped on its hull sides? Does anybody really buy a boat because a scary-fast one-off, and I don't care if it's a Fountain or an Outerlimits, sets the fastest kilo mark?

Cool stuff to talk and brag and argue about, but when it comes time to drop a few hundred thousand bucks or much, much more on a boat, does that kind of stuff close the deal?

I don't think so. Current or ancient history, against a mixed fleet or in a stacked deck, the "world champion, offshore racing" stuff is marketing. Sure, Cigarette hasn't won anything in a while. Does anyone doubt that Cigarette makes a great boat, regardless?

As for the F-4, someone nailed it in a post very early on. Looks great, built great, runs great by all accounts. But whether or not Sunsation can compete in the same market as Cigarette, Outerlimits or Nor-Tech remains to be seen. I think everyone wishes Sunsation the best, but only time will tell.

This pretty much sums it up for me....It's just a marketing ploy. But I still think Cig has paid it's dues to have it in their name.

thisistank 02-07-2007 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by otis311 (Post 2018286)
Thats right Tank, They need to be out on the Poker Run tour supporting thier customer base

I would like to see this 100 fold over racing....Poker Run support and being visual at poker runs is a HUUUUUGE area of untapped PR/Sales/resources for Cigarette. That is where it's customers are. It's just a shame they don't seem to care.

epeek 02-07-2007 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by otis311 (Post 2018374)
I figured as much, You will have to answer to these Cig folks as I introduce them to you at the show and the parties

UT-OH!!!!

Blow-N-Thunder 02-07-2007 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mentalpause (Post 2016575)
The base issue with this thread was until the F4, Sunsation never tried to play with these other brands. And never claimed that they were trying.

The F4, in my opinion, is the first attempt by Sunsation until now to play with some of the top tier builders. Knowing what materials are in this boat, which most people here are just speculating, they clearly raised things up several notches. I was with the boat the day Mike Fiori went through it with a fine toothed comb. I know exactly what Mike said to Joe, and POS was NOT it.

There are some features you can't find on other boats. Does that mean they will be successful playing at this level...none of us knows that yet. But time will tell, and I know it is a great boat. I am not saying anything about the other boats, I think they are great boats also.

But they are off to a good start - they have orders to take them into 2008 so that is not a bad thing.

Will you be at the St. Louis show with ths boat? It looks great and that is coming from a flat deck Black Thunder owner.

Blow-N-Thunder 02-07-2007 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by drypipetiger (Post 2017727)
I'm really not sure Dan... Trying to do my homework.

The Sunsation SS caught my eye at the Montreal Boat show and I have no knowledge of the company. So I though I'd inquiry for the heck of it.

I definately know what I don't want. That's for sure. :drink:

How about a 43 Black Thunder Flat deck with Mercs new 700's If interested send me a PM. Custom everything from paint to guages

Knot 4 Me 02-07-2007 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Blow-N-Thunder (Post 2018629)
Will you be at the St. Louis show with ths boat? It looks great and that is coming from a flat deck Black Thunder owner.

Mental's boat will not be at St. Louis (nor will any other F-4) as it is still out East from the AC show. Mental, however, can be found at the Sunsation display from noon on. Swing by and wish him a happy B-Day!