Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   question for the stereo guys/gals on this board (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/15102-question-stereo-guys-gals-board.html)

Baja232 01-07-2002 05:42 PM

question for the stereo guys/gals on this board

I'm replacing 4 clarion M262's (1997) and want to get one of the following. What would be your choice?
I need 6.5"

Clarion CM1622 aprx. $75/pr
Infinity 62M aprx. $117/pr
Bazooka SM600 aprx. $70/pr
Pioneer TS-MR165 aprx. $110/pr
Sony XSMP62 aprx. $95/pr
PolyPlaner MA6600 aprx. $159/pr

I know there is also MB quarts and Bose, but they are more than I want to spend as I need 4, and I am buying a new head unit and cd changer (brand undecided)

If you have experience with any of the speakers above, what would you pick as #1 and which to avoid if any.

thanks (I have a Baja 232 Islander)

Audiofn 01-07-2002 06:53 PM

I know that the Clarions sound real good. That is a really good price on those speakers!!! Same as what I have offered to the OSO guys. I would also consider the 1632 component speakers for about 135-140 a pair off the top of my head. I also like the Poly Planner speakers although I do not seel them any more I have always had good luck with them. The Bazooka, Pioneer, and Sony speakers I would stay away from. If you really want to have some good speakers go with the babbs and spend a little extra. They do not make a 6.5" so you would have ot go with 6X9's Hope that helps you out some

Jon

Baja232 01-07-2002 07:03 PM

Audiofn,

thanks for the reply.

I was thinking about the babbs, but I wanted to avoid cutting bigger holes. The same reason I didn't include the Clarion components.

I got all the approx. prices by searching the internet and finding the "lowest" that I could find.

Do you sell the Clarions? If so, send me your e-mail and when I'm ready I'll get them from you.

FWK 01-07-2002 07:28 PM

Baja 232 Jon can take care of you on the clarions. I agree with him to stay away from the pioneer, sony and the bazooka's. Polyplanar is a good choice. The clarion seperates sound great and I would highly recommend them, if you don't mind the added install time. Also, beware of internet sites. Make sure that who you buy from is a authorized dealer for the product you are purchasing or you may be stuck without a warranty. As the old saying goes "if it sounds to good to be true" Good luck with your system, Forrest

liquid asset 01-07-2002 07:46 PM

I just replaced my clarions with non-marine mb quarts that sound bad as$ for 149 a pair at car toys :eek:

Baja232 01-08-2002 10:47 AM

Liquid Asset,

The only reason I'll go with the marine version is that I think the speakers get wet sometimes when I clean / spray down the inside of the non-slip floor. We also do alot of swimming and tubing and things get wet. So It's better I think to go with marine speakers.

It's hard to pick a speaker without being able to listen to them next to each each other.

BAJA WILL 01-08-2002 11:18 AM

I agree, stay away from sony,pioneer I have had both and they are OK at best. I currently have the Kicker Marine and am very happy with them, very loud, about $120-$145, depending on who and where you get them. Just make sure you max the power out on them.

On a side note, if I had it to do over, I would go with the MB Quartz 6.5 component with ext tweeter. Expensive but chit boats arn't cheap :rolleyes:

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: 27Fountain ]

Sean 01-08-2002 11:48 AM

Hey Baja,

I've bought Polyplanars from Forrest here on the board and they sound great. I bought the enclosed ones and the 6X9 plates which I believe can be mounted in place of a standard 6 1/2" speaker...They sound awesome and are obviously made for the marine environment...might be worth looking into.

Sean

FWK 01-08-2002 06:17 PM

Thanks Sean I hope your holidays went well. Forrest

liquid asset 01-08-2002 06:45 PM

baja 232, the mb quarts also have a built in crossover, and poly cones [they hold up really well in marine applications], you can hear most all of those speakers at car toys,buy the $20 warranty they said any damage except for self inflicted is covered, my buddy bought 4 pair of the marine version for his 29 outlaw at caroys for 199 a pair, he talked them down from 299 :)