Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New motors and paint?.....or go for new (different) boat? >

New motors and paint?.....or go for new (different) boat?

Notices

New motors and paint?.....or go for new (different) boat?

Old 02-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motors and paint?.....or go for new (different) boat?

I have a 2002 32' Sunsation with 6.2 liters and have considered putting new crate motors, 496 ho, in place to give it some more power and big block noise and also add a custom paint job. My question is, does replacing the motors tend to be problematic or should I just sell it and go for a different boat? Any advice will be appreciated. BTW, the new boat would be a 36 or 38 with staggered motors...
Old 02-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Tough question to answer not knowing you, your skillsets, what you have in the Sunsation & what you will have in it once you are done.

Some really enjoy the renovation / rebuild process & don't care whether or not they have way more $$$ in their newly refurbed ride than it's worth, the payback comes in the form of accomplishment & personal gratification w/ the finished product.

The other route says guesstimate what the Sunsation project will cost you, what you think the boat will be worth upgraddd then compare that to selling as is & what you might be able to buy value wise w/ the proceeds from the sale & funds you didn't invest in the Sunsation Upgrade.

Just my $.02
Old 02-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the motors would be stock, new motors from Mercury and dropped in from a reputable mechanic....no crazy stuff done...all stock upgrades....regarding the paint job, I would have Mitcher T do me a full paint job including the top deck. I realize the 30k of money to do this wouldn't yield that in selling it....I would be doing it just to ramp up the current boat I already have, which has been trustworthy and solid. I just don't know if putting different motors would tend to be problematic or be trouble free. By selling the Sunny, I would go into a much more expensive boat. I'm not against that approach, I just don't know how others have fared with upgrading their older boats.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Been there - Sell it.

Let someone else throw money at a 13 year old boat.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A qualified marine tech who doesn't mind custom work can retrofit & adapt engines. Whether you'll have same reliability you've enjoyed to date is obviously unknown.

There are allot of lower hr newer performance Vees out there especially Fountains. I think you'll afford a much nicer updated boat by selling or trading & putting the upgrade money towards the new to you boat. Call Scott Sjogren at Pier 57 he'll shoot you straight.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Bigger and newer douse not mean trouble free. Big faster and more power always leads to more money. ... just do what makes you happy. If u love your boat like I do put the money in to it if hou dont love it anymore sell and get something that u will. Also lets see the boat as it is now. Either for a befor and after or an idea for people that might be looking.. like my bro. Good luck eather way.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm
Originally Posted by Canamman
Well, the motors would be stock, new motors from Mercury and dropped in from a reputable mechanic....no crazy stuff done...all stock upgrades....regarding the paint job, I would have Mitcher T do me a full paint job including the top deck. I realize the 30k of money to do this wouldn't yield that in selling it....I would be doing it just to ramp up the current boat I already have, which has been trustworthy and solid. I just don't know if putting different motors would tend to be problematic or be trouble free. By selling the Sunny, I would go into a much more expensive boat. I'm not against that approach, I just don't know how others have fared with upgrading their older boats.
Thinking that having two brand new mercruiser crate engines professionally installed and a MT paint job is going to run just a bit north of 30k.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
I'm

Thinking that having two brand new mercruiser crate engines professionally installed and a MT paint job is going to run just a bit north of 30k.
I was going to say the same thing. Probably closer to 50k I'd bet.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell it.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To refurbish an old boat to the level of fit and finish and to the preformace standards of a 2-4 year old boat will likely take a lot more than than new engines and paint. Based on where you live, my suggestion is you go talk to Tyler Crockett and discuss the full cost to get the preformance you are looking for if you were to upgrade your Sunsation. Also 32' and 36' 😊 boats are a significantly different boating experiences. My advice is to keep asking questions. Our boat is 27 years old and it is worth maybe 2-5% of what was spend, but I never even considered switching boats. For me, it is all about the hunt.

Last edited by BenPerfected; 02-03-2015 at 06:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.