Notices

600sci experience?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
TTT, should I be running the NGK R-5671A-8 (one step hotter) Pn# 4554 plug instead?
Thanks,
Dean
You will not have a problem, my boat will idle all day long with no loading up, at Lake Havasu there is alot of idling getting thew the channel and I never have a problem with the stock plugs.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by sport
You will not have a problem, my boat will idle all day long with no loading up, at Lake Havasu there is alot of idling getting thew the channel and I never have a problem with the stock plugs.
Sport,
Thanks for the input, I will try the stock plugs and see if I have the same success that you've had. I still need the gap info.... Hopefully someone will chime in with that.
Dean

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 06-16-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Sport,
Thanks for the input, I will try the stock plugs and see if I have the same success that you've had. I still need the gap info.... Hopefully someone will chime in with that.
Dean
I'm pretty sure it's .035. it is on the spec. tag on the heat exchanger.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry...I have been out of town...

.035 is correct...which is what these plugs are USUALLY gapped at out of the box

Chris
Old 06-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I see alot of dragraces use the same plugs
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=266449

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Guys,
Thanks for the info. I'll check the gap tonight.

Strip,
I'll call you later today hopefully, if I don't get swamped
Dean
Old 06-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Q, does the 600sci have a dedicated overboard H2O dump, or does it dump into the exhaust, (Relaxalot stated that it dumps into the exhaust on the merc stock install...) My boat already has dedicated H20 water dumps, that dump a ton of water, but no external dedicated intercooler H2O pick-up....
Thanks,
Dean
Old 06-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Registered

When my motor was stock it dumped into the exhaust. As heat rises this is a very bad idea. Steam would back up into the intercooler dump line. I separated the intercooler from the drive feed by adding an additional external pickup through an additional sea strainer and then to the intercooler and then overboard. The motor is fed from the drive only. I had to plug the top 3 holes of the drive because the boat lifted out of the water at speed and sucked air causing alarms. I worked with Dustin at Whipple and my mechanic Aaron at Absolute in Havasu to correct the problem. I installed the kit from whipple and rerouted the water lines per his instructions. All my problems were solved. He did a reflash and a pulley change and !!! If you already are dumping water overboard instead of into a hot exhaust header that is good. If I had your boat I think I may continue to run the 4 blade props to have adequate slip to protect the drives. If you power up and go to five blades in a heavy boat the likelyhood of drive damage goes up. I do run a five blade and I like it. Boat is a Howard Sportdeck with a cat hull w/ small center pod. I run a p5x Hydromotive bow lifting prop. Good luck with your new ride. I have had no motor problems after the initial water pressure and intake temp issues.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by relaxalot
When my motor was stock it dumped into the exhaust. As heat rises this is a very bad idea. Steam would back up into the intercooler dump line. I separated the intercooler from the drive feed by adding an additional external pickup through an additional sea strainer and then to the intercooler and then overboard. The motor is fed from the drive only. I had to plug the top 3 holes of the drive because the boat lifted out of the water at speed and sucked air causing alarms. I worked with Dustin at Whipple and my mechanic Aaron at Absolute in Havasu to correct the problem. I installed the kit from whipple and rerouted the water lines per his instructions. All my problems were solved. He did a reflash and a pulley change and !!! If you already are dumping water overboard instead of into a hot exhaust header that is good. If I had your boat I think I may continue to run the 4 blade props to have adequate slip to protect the drives. If you power up and go to five blades in a heavy boat the likelyhood of drive damage goes up. I do run a five blade and I like it. Boat is a Howard Sportdeck with a cat hull w/ small center pod. I run a p5x Hydromotive bow lifting prop. Good luck with your new ride. I have had no motor problems after the initial water pressure and intake temp issues.
R,
Thanks again for your informative post. And you are correct, I'm trying to decide what prop I need to run, BUT don't want to shorten my drive life..... Although, my drive temp gauges are REALLY COOL, (no pun intended) I just need to know what is considered a High Drive Temp, 170, 200?
Thanks,
Dean
Old 06-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Also looking for an alternative to the Merc Racing oil filter P/N:35-840634K01? Also what oil is used in the mechnical fule pumps that run off the cam lobe. Mine has a little gas in it, and I need to drain and fill it with the correct oil.
Thanks,
Dean

Quick Reply: 600sci experience?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.