Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boating in the Niagara Region (Canada and US) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/151395-boating-niagara-region-canada-us.html)

ToTheMax 02-12-2007 08:47 PM

Boating in the Niagara Region (Canada and US)

I have a good work opportunity open to me and I might be relocating to the area, I'm wondering what the boating is like at the East side of Lake Erie on both sides of the border. Are there good islands/beaches? How rough does it usually get?

tbanzer1 02-13-2007 04:41 PM

I live south of Buffalo on Lake Erie. Plenty of good beaches and party locations.Lake Erie can get nasty in a hurry but there are alot of good boating days. The Niagara River is also an option. There is a couple inland lakes that are always nice if Lake Erie is to Kicked up.

cosmic12 02-13-2007 04:47 PM

Grand Island and Niagara river, you can get to Erie or Ont. fast. the finger lakes or go up to A-bay on the ST.Lawarnce river it is boating paridise up there

Dude! Sweet! 02-13-2007 06:35 PM

Is Sinbads still around?

Bobthebuilder 02-13-2007 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by ToTheMax (Post 2024806)
I have a good work opportunity open to me and I might be relocating to the area, I'm wondering what the boating is like at the East side of Lake Erie on both sides of the border. Are there good islands/beaches? How rough does it usually get?

TT Max. Where are you being located to? I was born in Fort Erie, ON on the Can side across from Buffalo, NY. Spent the first 20 years of my life there. Lake Erie like any of the Great Lakes can get nasty but offers some great boating as well. The Can shore has streches of nice sandy beaches [ Sherkston etc ] but also some rock in other areas. There are a number of small towns and ports but I have been out of touch from that area for too long to say where the hot spots are if any exist.
I think I like the west end of the Lake better. Put in Bay !! Yes.:evilb:
Like others said, the Niagara River offers some good boating as well. I remember going around Grand Island once just a few miles above Niagara Falls in a single engine boat. :eek:
Good luck and hope you like it there.:D
Bob

Airpacker 02-14-2007 07:36 AM

the east end of lake erie can offer up some of the nastiest water you will ever see. A west wind makes for a wild ride :) I have also boated it when its flat as a pancake. The niagra river offers some good running and the Erie barge canal is great for a slow, easy sunshine cruise.

Bobthebuilder 02-14-2007 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Airpacker (Post 2026136)
and the Erie barge canal is great for a slow, easy sunshine cruise.

And what would you know Sean about a slow , easy sunshine cruise ?? :evilb:

ToTheMax 02-14-2007 10:16 PM

Thanks for the input guys,
BTB, the opportunity is located in Port Colbourne, as you know only a short drive from Fort Erie. How far are the beaches from there?

That area appeals to me as well because of the close proximity to Buffalo where I lived while at school, and Toronto is still 1.5 hrs away. I figure conditions would get rough with the west winds, as there doesn't seem to be much protection.