Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    imq707s

Cool Best Buffing Compound for Gelcoat?

What's the best buffing compund to use for polishing faded gelcoat? I've got a 1985 Scarab that has some faded gel on the deck. What would you suggest? I've tried some automotive paint compunds, but the gel usually fades back in a few days.

My Boats:
    1988 32' Pachanga

I heard that Waterfoul uses an all natural, protein enriched formula. Only gets about a teaspoon at a time though. Also heard he uses his hairy butt cheeks for the final buffing....

Boat Girl

imq, I'm not a pro or anything, but I discovered something at the boat show called FLITZ...it works awesome, they showed you all the stuff it works on, and it is a restorer...it removes oxidation and stuff...they actually wet sanded a piece of lexan and took a dab of this stuff and viola...anybody else have any experience with this product...I actually went out and got some and am using on my car...the one thing they did say is that it doesnt protect from sun only water, so you would need to use an additional wax for sun protection after restoring the surface...

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Boat Girl ]

NJScarab

3M Ultrafine for light colors It's a polish but it takes out Oxidation like a SOB. Hit it with the high speed and a wool pad and then high speed with a foam waffle pad. She'll be shining.
    Mike

Platinum Member Platinum Member Smitty's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2000 Baja 36 Outlaw

I use Meguire's color restorer #44.Then follow with a good coat of wax.Works pretty well at bringing out the color as well as putting the oils back in the gel coat.

Happy waxing.
    Want your ECU tuned right?? Call Mark at Precision www.pmefi.com

My Boats:
    24' formula

flitz is some really good stuff...used it several times to buff gelcoat. its a little salty on price but very effective!

FLITZ

My Boats:
    1988 Cruisers 2800 Rogue

Ive used some stuff called Turbocut from Whizard. Bought it off the internet after the detailing guy from boatered told me about it. I used it on a red faded boat and It worked great. Ill try and find the web site again.

My Boats:
    1988 Cruisers 2800 Rogue

My Boats:
    Stray Cat Statement Marine

I get my car proffessionally detailed twice a year. The guy spends (no joke) 8 hrs on the car and it looks better than the day it came out of the showroom. A few months ago he used "Liquid Glass". Its a polymer not a wax and it is unreal. This stuff is so slippery you can actually "drive" the car clean, I know that sounds alittle hoakie but its true. Cant wait to use it on the boat, hoping it wont be to slick once you have shoes on. Im not sure weather it works on oxidation but there is a few products in the line, Ill see if they have a restorer when I get home.

My Boats:
    20 Donzi Minx

I used to use Safety Kleen's products when I detailed boats. The stuff workd real well. Compounds ranged from mild to a black gritty substance that would cut through anything. their wax was real thick and required a buffer to apply, but it stayed forever and looked awesome.

BTW, I used this stuff on my all black 30' Shadow cat and that boat looked like a mirror! I wish I had some pictures!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast