UNBELIEVABLE! Cancelled flight! >

UNBELIEVABLE! Cancelled flight!

Notices

UNBELIEVABLE! Cancelled flight!

Old 02-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chriswithaboat
A lot of people don't realize that flying is a privilege not a right.... If weather or the government intervenes there is not a lot us pilots can do.
That is so true! I fly commercial every week or so and I've seen it all with upset rude people.

The American public also forgets that their drivers license is a priviledge too.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make the party by 11pm? Hell if I couldn't at least do both Friday & Saturday at the show AND the Friday activities, i wouldn't go. Unless of course you have friends/family to fill the voids.

Otherwise the cup-half-full approach would be the money saved could go to another poker run registration or some new boat bling....
Old 02-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lofty
We just got in! Our flight got canceled last night and got stuck in Vegas... could have been worse. US Air gave us a hotel and got us in as early as they could today.

Just had dinner and later drinks with B Teague and crew. Finanly met met Destin from Donzi. Sweet time so far.

Hope the rest of you guys make it in. Good luck.
We're not making it to the show this year, but we will be next year.

Lofty, when do you return? I'm in Miami Mon thru Wed, Rob arrives into Ft Myers on Wed then we're there for a week in Naples. You sticking around the area by any chance?
Old 02-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Barb, we're leaving late Sunday. I have a bussy week comming up so I can't hang around. Sorry I'm going to miss you both.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Zudnic
about one half of the reported cases from the NTSB per year invovle non instrument rated pilots flying into instrument weather conditions
Then there's the accidents that don't get reported to the NTSB because there were no death's or property loss involved. From what I understand from private pilots that I know, the accident numbers reported are a lot lower than actuals.

Commercial, that's a different story all together... If someone farts, they know..

Anyway, I know someone who flew in from Ft. Lauderdale to NJ today. Bumpy flight, barf bags were being used and other people were giving people their barf bags as back-up!!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Registered

DJD, I'm glad to hear you found a flight to FL. This reminds me of you trying to get there in 2003 to meet up with Barb and me about the Cigarette.

I've had the privilege of being able to fly since 1991, earning my pilot's certificate at age 39. I've had the opportunity to fly many different types of aircraft, from bug smashers to warbirds, and I've enjoyed every single minute.

As an instrument-rated private pilot I take my flying very seriously. Fun flying is supposed to be just that- fun. After you've checked weather enroute and at the destination and alternate, as well as how far you may have to fly to get to VFR conditions if the destination goes below minimums (or God-forbid, you have an equipment failure enroute) you need to decide if the trip is worth risking the lives of the friends and/or family that are trusting you to keep them alive and out of harm's way.

I've had my share of friends that have made the wrong decision. Some managed to keep themselves and their passengers alive. Unfortunately some others didn't.

The short version is;
If it doesn't feel right, put the bird back in the hangar.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
Commercial, that's a different story all together... If someone farts, they know..
Worst commercial experience; the L1011 circled in a figure of eight pattern turn sharply and dove towards the runway. We landed on one wheel on the right side with the nose up. The right wing almost struck the ground. My Brother was with me and I said thats the closest I've ever come to crashing! The flight crew on the taxi to the gate said nothin, no welcome, no remain seated, nothing!

On the return flight the planes where all running late because of winter storms, etc. When I found out it was the same pilot flying us home I took another flight!!!!!

Originally Posted by Crazyhorse
The short version is;
If it doesn't feel right, put the bird back in the hangar.
My Dad made my Brothers and I take flying lessons; if he became incapacitated he wanted one of us to be able to at least land! My first lesson did stalls and spins, the latter my Dad freaked about. He did'nt freak because spins are dangerous, thought that was a good lesson for us! He freaked cause on the panel a placard clearly said: "spins prohibited in this aircraft!" Several months latter that flight instructor was killed in a plane crash along with one of his students, the other passenger survived, but was severely injured!!!
Old 02-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Zudnic
the L1011 circled in a figure of eight pattern turn sharply and dove towards the runway.
"spins prohibited in this aircraft!"
The pilot probably had the option of holding (flying the published or approved holding pattern) hoping the visibility at the airport would go above minimums. When the controller told him the RVR was above minimums he shot the abbreviated approach and made the landing (and probably violated the minimums anyway). That's just another form of get-home-itis.

Many primary training aircraft are not approved for spins. Others are approved for spins when they are being flown in "utility" category (the difference is in how much the plane weighs and/or where the occupants are sitting). When I took primary training spins were no longer a mandatory item. I did take aerobatic training in warbirds and let me tell you, losing a thousand feet a turn is the spin before recovery gets your attention.
If it takes three turns to recover and you are only 2500 feet AGL you're gonna make an expensive hole in the dirt.
My aerobatics instructor was approved for zero altitude airshow performances and did a great job. He passed away of old age a few years ago.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Crazyhorse
The pilot probably had the option of holding (flying the published or approved holding pattern) hoping the visibility at the airport would go above minimums. When the controller told him the RVR was above minimums he shot the abbreviated approach and made the landing (and probably violated the minimums anyway). That's just another form of get-home-itis.

If it takes three turns to recover and you are only 2500 feet AGL you're gonna make an expensive hole in the dirt.
My aerobatics instructor was approved for zero altitude airshow performances and did a great job. He passed away of old age a few years ago.
Should point out the commercial flight was into Cuba so no ILS, poor English speaking controlers, etc!

The manager of the airport my Dad keeps his plane's crashed a pitts practicing for airshow performance at the airport. I was licensed in Canada, spins are required training, but not in the U.S.