Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Important Desert Storm Poker Run info..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/151888-important-desert-storm-poker-run-info.html)

thisistank 02-20-2007 04:52 PM

Important Desert Storm Poker Run info.....

The "season opener" is upon us. Yes, the Desert Storm Poker run is quickly approaching. Every year the event gets bigger and better thanks to all those that are involved; From the city of Lake Havasu to the promoters, sponsors, spectators and of course the participants.

As you may or may not know a large chunk of the registration fees goes to charity (our men and women in the military).

Whether you want to participate or just spectate, remember all are welcomed and as always the promoters would like to see as many OSO members as possible attend this poker run (as in years past).

It is frequently asked by participants, "how do we give more to help our deployed military personnel?" Well, that's where this post comes in.

I know it's long, but worth the read. Hope to see you all on the water and thanks for your time and support in helping our brave soldiers.

Desert Storm has arrived. Let’s make this thing work!

For the past eight years the Spring Poker Run has jump started the boating season at Havasu. For the first time in its history, the run has been accepted and received by even its harshest critics. In short, the poker run has “arrived” and is now a nationally-recognized event.

However, few people realize the challenges we face in staging this event every year. Since the time it was started in 99’, the primary goals of this event were to create a special experience for our participants, and to enable us to give back to our communities by raising money for charity. Fast forward to 2007 and we feel great about how the event has grown, and we still raise a fair amount of money for our charity - but it could be much better!

There are 200 participant boats, but we estimate the poker run draws literally tens of thousands of spectators. Over the course of the past three years and thru poker run registrations, we have raised about $18,000 for charity. While that number is huge to our charity, it’s still small in comparison to how many people enjoy this event.

Let’s change that. This is where everybody who enjoys the poker run can help.

For the past several years, LHC resident Karen Gill, thru her military support charity Troops Now and Tomorrow, Inc., has worked tirelessly to assemble those special care packages we have all become familiar with. The difference is, Karen is very good at what she does. In fact, she was recognized by People magazine for her efforts. However, shipping packages to our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan costs money. And while product donations (including 100 HotBoat magazines per month from HB) are ample, the cash to ship them is not.

Our poker run seems to have taken on a life of its own, but the reality is, the run was started and continues to be run by a small, core group of regular boaters. We are not a large, corporate giant whose business is promoting poker runs. We have regular jobs, regular boats and families, and work throughout the year to keep this thing going.

This year, as a “thank you” for our efforts, we are asking you to show your appreciation by supporting Troops Now and Tomorrow, Inc..

On another note, it is also with a saddened and heavy heart to report that 20 year old PFC Kris Taylor lost his battle with brain cancer shortly before Christmas. Some of you might recall Kris was one of eight Marines we invited to last year’s poker run.

Many of our participants stepped up and took these Marines for an experience they'll never forget, treating them to a special day on the water. A few of you also took time to email kind words of encouragement to PFC Taylor during his battle. A great big THANK YOU is well deserved.

PFC Taylor, who hailed from Texas, wanted nothing more than to stand beside his fellow Marines and serve his country. Godspeed PFC Taylor. You will be missed, but your service never forgotten.

-------------------------

Here’s how you can help.

Troops Now and Tomorrow, Inc. is a non-profit, tax exempt and qualified charity. We would like to collect contributions and present them to Karen at the poker run. We are hoping to double the amount we raise thru poker run registration, so our goal is to raise $5,000-$10,000 for her charity.

“90% of most Americans want to support the troops, but don’t know how” according to Karen. Like many of you, I fall into that 90% group. Karen’s charity offers a turnkey, easy and quick solution for those of us who want to help, but don’t know how. I will start this thing off by sending Troops Now and Tomorrow a $100 check.

Please also note, these checks will be held and not presented to Karen until April 28, so please make note of the check when reconciling your bank account.

Checks made payable to Troops Now and Tomorrow, Inc. can be sent to the following address:

Troops Now and Tomorrow
c/o Lakeracer LLC
PO Box 86006
Phoenix, Az 85080

If you or your company donates $500 or more, you will receive special recognition at the awards banquet.

Help us make Art fit a bunch of names into an already crowded awards itinerary! (Sorry Art!)

Semper Fi 02-20-2007 07:33 PM

We support our troops :drink:

I will send out a check to them soon. I have friends that are still over in Iraq--some of them have already been there 3+ times

jdnichols 02-21-2007 12:12 AM

I set up a credit card donation process thru our E-Store, a big thanks to all who help out.

Lakeracer E-store Donation Link.

We'll be hosting several recently returned Marines based at Camp Pendleton to the event. Any volunteers to show one or two of them a great time would again be appreciated. Our participants did them up great last year!

Anarchy Powerboats 02-21-2007 01:04 AM

JD do you guys need any Audio Visual ( lighting,sound,video) just let me know. I need a beach booth for the event also....

Anarchy Powerboats 02-21-2007 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Semper Fi (Post 2033296)
We support our troops :drink:

I will send out a check to them soon. I have friends that are still over in Iraq--some of them have already been there 3+ times

Gerard are you going to be on anyones boat, I'm thinking about being a card stop this year, wanna float with us?

Zudnic 02-21-2007 01:38 AM

Heck I'm not even going and the check will be in the mail!!! Good cause and hope others who are not going give a little as well. :drink:

jdnichols 02-21-2007 06:07 AM

Ken, give me a call (602)578-5975...Jim

Anarchy Powerboats 02-23-2007 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by jdnichols (Post 2033626)
Ken, give me a call (602)578-5975...Jim

Will do, I get back in town on Monday.
Ken

Semper Fi 02-23-2007 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING (Post 2033577)
Gerard are you going to be on anyones boat, I'm thinking about being a card stop this year, wanna float with us?

Ken,

Thanks for the offer. It's very generous! I don't think we will be out there.

Anarchy Powerboats 02-24-2007 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Semper Fi (Post 2036204)
Ken,

Thanks for the offer. It's very generous! I don't think we will be out there.

Come on ya weiner, bring your bucket car with ya, Ill run you in my new 335, loser buys dinner at Shugrues. Basically I'm telling you I'll take you and the wife out to dinner:D