Notices

NXT Drive Problems ?

Old 02-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
Konrad - There's only one!!!

I beleive there has been more than a single failure with the NXT.
Do tell, like I said,there were trans/cone clutch issues at 1st and they were taken care of, do you think Merc would still use the NXT trans in front of the #6 drive on the high x boats if there were still tranny issues? I dont think so in this market place, Shogren ran over 100hrs in his Fountain/mule last summer with the NXT drive with no failures and he aint exactly easy on equiptment
Old 02-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
Why not just go with Konrad drives? They have a tremedous proven track record.
I was an Illmor/Teague/Spectre test dummy last year, no thanks, I'll stick with Merc
Old 02-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by super termoli
they sure can but between fountain and outerlimits, every mph counts...

BTW, this drive fails to excite me. same old stuff, the idea behind it is 50+ years old. It still has all the disadvantages of the #6 without some of the advantages of a cone clutch drive. It doesn't push the envelope in any way...
You are right about that. You think that overall performance would be their goal. But, alot of these manufacturers want to squeeze every last mile per hour out of their boats. That is fine for them, but is that wise for the consumer? I also heard that at a certain poker run, a certain manufacturer ran out of gas twice. All, just to squeeze that extra 1-2 mph. How ridiculous. If dropping the x dimension lost you several mph, but gained you better drivability, handling and maybe even reliability, woudn't that be the wiser choice? Especially now that alot of these boats are doing 100mph+.

Last edited by pm203; 02-21-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting ....

Now , what are the minimum octane requirements on the 700 ?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LEOPAJM
Interesting ....

Now , what are the minimum octane requirements on the 700 ?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder
I was an Illmor/Teague/Spectre test dummy last year, no thanks, I'll stick with Merc
I am not a bravo lover, but do tell us how the experience was with the Illmor motor. Thanks Jeff
Old 02-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pm203
You are right about that. You think that overall performance would be their goal. But, alot of these manufacturers want to squeeze every last mile per hour out of their boats. That is fine for them, but is that wise for the consumer? I also heard that at a certain poker run, a certain manufacturer ran out of gas twice. All, just to squeeze that extra 1-2 mph. How ridiculous. If dropping the x dimension lost you several mph, but gained you better drivability, handling and maybe even reliability, woudn't that be the wiser choice? Especially now that alot of these boats are doing 100mph+.

This is not going to happen when consumers care only about the top speed number however unrealistic it is. NK
Old 02-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
I am not a bravo lover, but do tell us how the experience was with the Illmor motor. Thanks Jeff
The first challenge, was purely a personal preference, the engines {twins} sounded like a Cummins diesel when coming on plane! and that was with no mufflers thru 4 inch tips. At speed outside of the boat 5900rpm they sounded good but at idle and getting on plane they sucked, The second issue was the powerband, not a real good mid-range hit and if you didnt prop the boat for 5900-6000 rpm instead 5500 or so you lost a lot of top end power, kind of like a 2.5 merc, the 3rd issue was outside temp/heat and power loss, totaly fell on its face when we hit 115 degrees out more-so than a 525 merc, I lost 400rpm and what mid-range hit that I had, 3rd was water pump {raw water} taking forever to draw raw water and eventually failing both pumps, the 4th was trying to sell the piece of ****
Old 02-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Registered

Red face

who ran out of gas once oops, but twice turn them in
Old 02-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, it wasn't Cig or Fountain. And,...that,s all I have to say about that.

Last edited by pm203; 02-21-2007 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: NXT Drive Problems ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.