Notices

NXT Drive Problems ?

Old 02-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Merc 700 NXT Drive package and all I can say is 'awesome'. The mid-range is incredible. I can't wait for PB to test a west coast cat (DCB or Eliminator) with this package. I think people will be suprised by the numbers (if that is important or not). To some it is and to some it isn't. I own a DCB F32. The boat has run 134. I have talked to mercury and what is being said on this thread is true - some Fountains had a handling issue due to the high X. I will never go back to a bravo drive after running this package.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steet
Interesting on the power loss. I have found that the Imor actually does not lose any power at 100+degrees vs. the Merc. Maybe you had another issue. Did you contact Imor to resolve your problem? At idle I considered it great. Planning was a different sound alltogether though. I found that from ilde to full throttle the powerband to be unreal. It was nearly veritical throughout and also showed this on the dyno sheets.
Just curious, could you have had another problem?
Between 6 Illmors takin a s*** at Desert Storm and other issues I'm not a fan, in regards to the power loss @ high temps its a well known fact in the Lake Havasu area that from july thru aug you better re-prop and I personally lost 7mph, I called Illmor and I basically was told it was normal in our extreme temps 115 to 120 is the norm, I did a side by side comparison on 2 exact boats, 1 with an Illmor package and 1 with a 600 merc, the only advantage performance wise was rpm potential on the Illmor setup 6000 rpm/limiter versus 5375-5400 rpm on the merc 600, the merc had a much better midrange hit and I,m expecting my new 700's will clean up on the Illmor 700's in the same hull, fully bagged,carbon fiber/ kevlar layup in a 32 cat,,, IMHO
Old 02-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ClownRoyal
I went with the Merc 700 NXT Drive package and all I can say is 'awesome'. The mid-range is incredible. I can't wait for PB to test a west coast cat (DCB or Eliminator) with this package. I think people will be suprised by the numbers (if that is important or not). To some it is and to some it isn't. I own a DCB F32. The boat has run 134. I have talked to mercury and what is being said on this thread is true - some Fountains had a handling issue due to the high X. I will never go back to a bravo drive after running this package.
I'm buying the same boat Clown I was in your boat with Dave this winter while you were testing DeFrees's props, what did you end up with for props? Dave is saying 16.5X38 CNC Mercs
Old 02-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder
I'm buying the same boat Clown I was in your boat with Dave this winter while you were testing DeFrees's props, what did you end up with for props? Dave is saying 16.5X38 CNC Mercs
Yes. Those are the props I ended up with. You will be happy with the package. Are you doing a light layup and when will it be done?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

That is consistent with what Sunsation experienced with it on the F4. Handling with the NXT was superior to handling with the XR drive.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder
Between 6 Illmors takin a s*** at Desert Storm and other issues I'm not a fan, in regards to the power loss @ high temps its a well known fact in the Lake Havasu area that from july thru aug you better re-prop and I personally lost 7mph, I called Illmor and I basically was told it was normal in our extreme temps 115 to 120 is the norm, I did a side by side comparison on 2 exact boats, 1 with an Illmor package and 1 with a 600 merc, the only advantage performance wise was rpm potential on the Illmor setup 6000 rpm/limiter versus 5375-5400 rpm on the merc 600, the merc had a much better midrange hit and I,m expecting my new 700's will clean up on the Illmor 700's in the same hull, fully bagged,carbon fiber/ kevlar layup in a 32 cat,,, IMHO
The 600s (and 700s) computer is supposed to compensate the boost to conditions to always produce the same power. I have not been in enough hugely different temps (like 110+) to be able to know for sure on my 600s. But they do seem to be much less reactive to changing conditions than previous engines I've owned, and therefore more consistent in varying conditions.

Do you know if the boat with the 600s had more consistent power when the advanced temps (110+) arrived in the summer?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
The 600s (and 700s) computer is supposed to compensate the boost to conditions to always produce the same power. I have not been in enough hugely different temps (like 110+) to be able to know for sure on my 600s. But they do seem to be much less reactive to changing conditions than previous engines I've owned, and therefore more consistent in varying conditions.

Do you know if the boat with the 600s had more consistent power when the advanced temps (110+) arrived in the summer?
Yes, thats when I did the side by side comp, the 700's also compensate for alltitude,,,I go to Lake Tahoe for a month in the summer 6300 ft, the 700's compensate to 4400 to around 4800 ft, I dont know if the 600's also do that
Old 02-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Registered

Yes. Those are the props I ended up with. You will be happy with the package. Are you doing a light layup and when will it be done?
Bagged,light lay-up, poker run interior etc,etc,etc, you know the drill !!! It might be done for Desert Storm ? My buddy Ralph is doing his at the same time with 1100 Teagues/Quads/#6's 80 to 130 mph at warp10 He's propping it like Jensons boat ,,,all acceleration I was in your boat with 6 blade Herrings,how do the Merc 38's compare?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
Why not just go with Konrad drives? They have a tremedous proven track record.
So whats the deal with Konrads?......what is the difference between the 540 and the Ace and is there any topend loss compared to an XR or Imco extreme?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bullhead
So whats the deal with Konrads?......what is the difference between the 540 and the Ace and is there any topend loss compared to an XR or Imco extreme?
I know that the horsepower loss thru the #6 is slightly more than a Bravo and the NXT-1 is less than the Bravo. The Imco 1000 drive is horrible thats why there arent many out there so I'm told, The XR/IMCO Extreme VS The Konrad is an unknown to me with comparable power, the only West Coat boats that I know that are using them are a Skater 30 flatdeck with 700 Illmors and a 38 Eliminator with Med/Big power that Ive seen in Tahoe and Havasu

Quick Reply: NXT Drive Problems ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.