Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Good Deal On 2006 46 Rough Rider, Mercury 850's & 6's >

Good Deal On 2006 46 Rough Rider, Mercury 850's & 6's

Notices

Good Deal On 2006 46 Rough Rider, Mercury 850's & 6's

Old 02-22-2007, 05:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice boat, cool graphics, thats all for me to say.....
Old 02-22-2007, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by super termoli
nice boat but that spiderman what's next, count chocula???
Captain Crunch!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:21 AM
Registered

Does anybody know if the "theme boats" have to get special permission to use these Hero's such as Spiderman, Superman, Batman, etc. or even pay a fee? I would "think" the like of DC Comics, Marvels and Warner Bros. would want some type of royalties off of the boats. They certainly "add value" to the boats... Does anyone know? When I drove The Spiderman Super VEE I know that we were NOT allowed to use the Spiderman figure at all. Hence why the boat only said Spiderman and didn't have him crawling down the boat anywhere. And also, did I hear somewhere that the old "Tweet Revenge" Apache raceboat that Larry Goldman use to race got in trouble for putting Tweety and Sylvester on the boat without Warner Bros. approval?

Ben
Old 02-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CASH BAR
Yep. There are some great Super Heroes out there and people keep painting Superman all over their shiit. Makes me wanna vomit.

If you want my opinion, paint your boat with something cool, like 42' MTI did buy putting the Tooth Fairy on the side of his......
No, I think I'll name it "OU know it, Hammer"
Old 02-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@SRP
They certainly "add value" to the boats...
I have to respectfully disagree. From my research, the theme boats are some of the hardest boats to sell when the original owners are ready to move on. For example the 40 Zuperman Skater had to be completely repainted to move. The Monopoly boat has been for sale for over a year. Many of the old Cigarettes with Looney Toon characters sit for years. The Tigress 42 Cigarette had to be changed.

It seems most of them have to be heavily discounted or changed to sell from what I've noticed.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLee
I have to respectfully disagree. From my research, the theme boats are some of the hardest boats to sell when the original owners are ready to move on. For example the 40 Zuperman Skater had to be completely repainted to move. The Monopoly boat has been for sale for over a year. Many of the old Cigarettes with Looney Toon characters sit for years. The Tigress 42 Cigarette had to be changed.

It seems most of them have to be heavily discounted or changed to sell from what I've noticed.
YUP...... that seems to be the trend......what I cannot understan is that you might like the cartoon character or was a childhood fan but would the boat owner wear batman or spiderman or speed racer shirts and jackets around town all the time or have a spderman car or SUV but on a boat its OK ?........very cool and technical paint work but resale is brutal....every one built is up for sale 6 months to a year after they are seen at a show.

Last edited by TSPM; 02-22-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Does anybody know if the "theme boats" have to get special permission to use these Hero's such as Spiderman, Superman, Batman, etc. or even pay a fee? I would "think" the like of DC Comics, Marvels and Warner Bros. would want some type of royalties off of the boats. They certainly "add value" to the boats... Does anyone know? When I drove The Spiderman Super VEE I know that we were NOT allowed to use the Spiderman figure at all. Hence why the boat only said Spiderman and didn't have him crawling down the boat anywhere. And also, did I hear somewhere that the old "Tweet Revenge" Apache raceboat that Larry Goldman use to race got in trouble for putting Tweety and Sylvester on the boat without Warner Bros. approval?

Ben
I'd like to know the same since it was one of the reasons my father lost his business..... It didn't even say a name or anything, it was just an image of a "glove" they put on a t-shirt.....
Old 02-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd paint a cartoon character on my $1M boat just around the same time I'd get myself a big Tazmanian Devil tat on my bicep.
I just don't really get liking a cartoon character that much...unless you happen to be someone like Todd McFarlane, who has made millions off of comics.
I love beer, but don't plan on painting a Beck's bottle on any boat I own in the future.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLee

As we've discussed, I am changing from a theme to a non-themed scheme due to that very fact. Although if I wanted to take the hit it is my money and my choice. I really don't buy boats to satisfy other people but rather to make the best choice for my self. I know you agree B but these yahoos slay me. There, I said it.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 3,013 Likes on 987 Posts

Ben

I don't believe theres any "copy right" issues for private owners to put the characters on thier boats. But when you get into the racing arena you are advertising and that is a problem.

Now the MTI with the Batman on the side was probably built for a private owner and only shown at the show. Even though it is an advertisement ploy for MTI, it isn't techniquely using the character to sell boats (even though we know it is actually the opposite ).

Quick Reply: Good Deal On 2006 46 Rough Rider, Mercury 850's & 6's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.