Need some Florida advice... >

Need some Florida advice...

Notices

Need some Florida advice...

Old 02-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need some Florida advice...

Planning spring break trip with the wife and we were thinking of going to Key West. Any suggestions on where to stay and what to do? Also, should we fly into Miami or Lauderdale?
Oh yeah...I told her if we were going to have to drive all the way to Key West, I wanted to rent a cool car...anyplace rent Vettes or Porsches?

Thanks for any info.

mike
Old 02-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a whole crew down there from Michigan this week.

A friend sent this link:

www.athomekeywest.com
click on nightly weekly rates
they still have some studios and condos left
were paying just under 200 a night!
Hotels down there are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more than that
the only catch is there is a three minimum nights stay
we rented the one called spankys retreat

Also, a fun way to get there is by boat. I forget which city it leaves out of but is a way to get the party started before even reaching key west!!! And the drive outta there sucks during any event, spring break included. have a blast! it is one of my favorite places.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The exotic car rental places charge a fortune, and you pay $.50-$1.00 per mile after a 100 miles or so per day. Check out the FAQ here for info, and their showroom/prices:
http://www.autoboutiquerental.com/

Hertz or Budget might rent you a nice BMW or Jaguar, but it won't be cheap.

The drive from Miami is 3.5 hours or so (better than 4 from Fort Lauderdale depending on I-95 traffic). While its a nice drive, its easily a complete extended waste of time in inclement weather. I'd try to fly directly to Key West if possible. It will make better use of your time.

This place rents Harleys in Key West. Perhaps a 1 day rental or something would be nice for a jaunt when you are in Key West.
http://www.cyclease.com/
Old 02-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Planning spring break trip with the wife and we were thinking of going to Key West. Any suggestions on where to stay and what to do? Also, should we fly into Miami or Lauderdale?
Oh yeah...I told her if we were going to have to drive all the way to Key West, I wanted to rent a cool car...anyplace rent Vettes or Porsches?

Thanks for any info.

mike
Mike, what's up buddy, I saw your question and contacted my good friend who is a district guy with Enterprise and he is checking to see how exotic they get with the local rental stores in miami and south beach area. I will let you know as soon as he calls me back, or call me because he will also need an idea of your dates. Hammer
Old 02-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Registered

Some of the Enterprise rental centers like the one in Coconut Grove rent the Lotus as well as H2s Ect they are not listed on there web site but are available and Hertz rents the Shelby Mustang/ jaguar ect... though unless you plan on spending some time in miami it would be better to get a flight to Key West and forget about the car it is definatly not needed once you get there
Old 02-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
Also, a fun way to get there is by boat. I forget which city it leaves out of but is a way to get the party started before even reaching key west!!! And the drive outta there sucks during any event, spring break included. have a blast! it is one of my favorite places.
There used to be a fast cat out of Fort Myers that made daily runs to Key West, not sure if it is still running.
It used to run out of the Big M Marina.

Oh yeah - fast cat ferry boat, not a Nortech 3600 Superboat...
Old 02-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Registered

Depends on what your looking for and how much you want to spend. The Westin next to Mallory Square you could go either way. Sunset Key cottages on the small island across from the harbor is very quiet and away from the craziness of Duval. Or you can stay in a room right off Mallory square. Also Delta now flys from Atlanta to Marathon will save alot of driving time. From Key West to either airport figure leaving 5-6 hrs before your flight takes off.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback guys. We're probably going to go the week after Easter...probably just a 5 day trip. We've never been, so it'll be an adventure. I'm just looking for a place to have some beers in proximity to a beach...I'm not very good at relaxing...I've got to try pretty hard to sit still!
Old 02-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
I'm not very good at relaxing...I've got to try pretty hard to sit still!
I've got the same problem, that's why boating is soooo good for people like you and me! Once out in the boat, I can't work on anything, except, well, the boat!?
Have a good time in Key west.
Dean
Old 02-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

We rented a Mustang Convertible to drive to the Key West from Miami. It was fun to do once. Long, scenic, slow drive. We enjoyed it. Key West has the drinking but zero beaches. We only found one small made made beach that the homeless people use for sleeping. We stayed at a B&B and loved it. Close to the bars and walking distance to everything.

Quick Reply: Need some Florida advice...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.