Notices

Best 496 headers?

Old 03-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ultimately Dana makes a great manifold style system but if you are looking for MAXIMUM power gains a tubular style header is the way to go.
Maybe we should get a non-biased second party to do some dyno testing, I'll be happy to pay my part, that way we don't need to makes claims out of mid air. We'll have some results to show.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tubular, square, etc... The thing about exhaust that builds power is the way the runners are tuned, the length of the runners & the way the collector is designed. It doesn't matter whether it is in a header or a manifold. The designe & flow is key..

We have used lighting, we are also a distributor for them. Not a bad product, but if corrosion is a concern then you must use the full stainless ones as the standard ones are ss inners & mild NON stainless steel outer pipes..

IMO.. If I was a consumer I would also ask myself what substantiates the best header, manifold etc.. Who & what substantiates the most power gains? A dyno or a simple it makes the power because the manufacturer says is does but doesnt back it with a dyno sheet?

Again Nothing against the other exhaust systems who's ever they may be. They all have their good points & bad. Headers do have their place as I said before, they can also rot, crack, etc.. Manifolds are not prone to cracking @ the flanges & they can hold up quite well to corrosion, or at least better than non stainless steel.. In the end one must go with the exhaust that will best suit thier needs overall..

Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dana marine products
Maybe we should get a non-biased second party to do some dyno testing, I'll be happy to pay my part, that way we don't need to makes claims out of mid air. We'll have some results to show.
Great thought.

At CP Performance we are proud to distribute the industries finest 496 exhaust systems.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

so for the lighting headers, you have to buy a whole new silent choice system.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CPPerformance
Great thought.

At CP Performance we are proud to distribute the industries finest 496 exhaust systems.
This is great, now if we can get someone (maybe Raylar if he would do it?????) to step up with a dyno and a 496 (hopefully HO) "mule" to do the testing. I wonder if there would be anyone else with "boys" enough to "step up"?

There are advantages to all the different kinds of manifolds. Price, style(looks), options (like silent choice compatibility), size, color....... If we had raw facts on performance we could make a better informed decision on what is best for our application. Bang for the buck is different for all of us. I don't think the all out leader in HP and TQ will get all the sales, I really think there is a lot more to it than that.

I wonder if CMI, Hardin, Stellings, or Eddie Marine, (others???) would like to get in with their headers/manifolds?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Registered

CP you threw out a price for the black and silver coated headers how about the stainless steel headers, I thought they were close to the same money as CMI....just curious
Old 03-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Registered

IMO if you are going to spend 4500-5500 on exhaust that only get you 60 HP max I would purchase a procharger or annie up a few more thousand and slap on a Whipple or Raylar Kit and get real HP gains....again just my opinion, then again I am one of the few to purchase a 6500 MYCO trailer for my little Donzi 22 classic so forget what I just said.

Undertaker
Old 03-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Registered

I've got a set of 496 CMI's. If CMI is in agreement, I'd be happy to hand them and ours over to a dyno facility. Hell, I'll even get the engine. Westech seems to be pretty popular, Raylar has worked there and at HP Dyno. I can't speak for Ray, but I would love for him to conduct the testing, you won't find a more honest and candid opinion. He also already has the necessary equipment to perform the testing.

The testing could reflect HP and torque gains as well as ease of installation. If we could get 3 or 4 guys to participate it would only cost roughly $450.00 per guy.

Four sets of exhaust would need two full days on the dyno.

As stated in this thread as well as others, Raylar conducted our dyno testing, so he's very familiar with the Dana system and he has expressed his opinion on our exhaust.

We're not interested in a macho man contest, but we'd love to participate in a friendly dyno day that would result in some good comparisions with different exhaust systems on the market.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

To re-clarify, the dyno sheets do NOT reflect the engine with the pressure regulator installed, thus the high exhaust temperatures. The air/fuel ratio stock vs. after exhaust install is irrelevant. The bottom line is, look at the dyno sheets, the 496 HO got lean with the exhaust added. Something has to be done to correct that. I think it would be agreed by many, that there is no way Mercury sends their engines down the road with 14.00 air/fuel #'s. The dyno sheet reflects the engine with NO fuel modifications.

The engines do not make near the horsepower or torque stock as they do once our exhaust is installed. As backed up by a non-biased opinion, our systems really work.
Wow, the Mercruiser engines must run really rich to show a horsepower improvement with headers on a speed-density fuel system, with no regulator changes!

The dyno test sounds like a lot of fun. If you would like an impartial observer for the tests, I would be glad to volunteer if it's in the LA area on a weekend. I don't even own a 496 engine. It's been a few years since I did dyno testing as a test engineer for GM, but, hey, it's like riding a bike right?

Michael
Old 03-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Registered

Hey Mike, Email me your contact information to [email protected]. Thanks for the offer and you can rest assured that I will call you if this materializes. Even if it doesn't we'll be doing some dyno testing on a whipple charged engine real soon. I'll keep you informed of when and where and you're more than welcome to come down and check it out.

I'm sure that Full Throttle Marine will have results within the next couple of weeks. He mentioned he was starting on the project right away. That will be one additional impartial party to offer information.

Quick Reply: Best 496 headers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.