Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best 496 headers? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/152173-best-496-headers.html)

dana marine products 03-01-2007 10:21 PM

I've got a set of 496 CMI's. If CMI is in agreement, I'd be happy to hand them and ours over to a dyno facility. Hell, I'll even get the engine. Westech seems to be pretty popular, Raylar has worked there and at HP Dyno. I can't speak for Ray, but I would love for him to conduct the testing, you won't find a more honest and candid opinion. He also already has the necessary equipment to perform the testing.

The testing could reflect HP and torque gains as well as ease of installation. If we could get 3 or 4 guys to participate it would only cost roughly $450.00 per guy.

Four sets of exhaust would need two full days on the dyno.

As stated in this thread as well as others, Raylar conducted our dyno testing, so he's very familiar with the Dana system and he has expressed his opinion on our exhaust.

We're not interested in a macho man contest, but we'd love to participate in a friendly dyno day that would result in some good comparisions with different exhaust systems on the market.

Michael1 03-01-2007 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by dana marine products (Post 2042906)
To re-clarify, the dyno sheets do NOT reflect the engine with the pressure regulator installed, thus the high exhaust temperatures. The air/fuel ratio stock vs. after exhaust install is irrelevant. The bottom line is, look at the dyno sheets, the 496 HO got lean with the exhaust added. Something has to be done to correct that. I think it would be agreed by many, that there is no way Mercury sends their engines down the road with 14.00 air/fuel #'s. The dyno sheet reflects the engine with NO fuel modifications.

The engines do not make near the horsepower or torque stock as they do once our exhaust is installed. As backed up by a non-biased opinion, our systems really work.

Wow, the Mercruiser engines must run really rich to show a horsepower improvement with headers on a speed-density fuel system, with no regulator changes!

The dyno test sounds like a lot of fun. If you would like an impartial observer for the tests, I would be glad to volunteer if it's in the LA area on a weekend. I don't even own a 496 engine. :D It's been a few years since I did dyno testing as a test engineer for GM, but, hey, it's like riding a bike right?

Michael

dana marine products 03-01-2007 11:31 PM

Hey Mike, Email me your contact information to [email protected]. Thanks for the offer and you can rest assured that I will call you if this materializes. Even if it doesn't we'll be doing some dyno testing on a whipple charged engine real soon. I'll keep you informed of when and where and you're more than welcome to come down and check it out.

I'm sure that Full Throttle Marine will have results within the next couple of weeks. He mentioned he was starting on the project right away. That will be one additional impartial party to offer information.

Undertaker 03-02-2007 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by dana marine products (Post 2043960)
I've got a set of 496 CMI's. If CMI is in agreement, I'd be happy to hand them and ours over to a dyno facility. Hell, I'll even get the engine. Westech seems to be pretty popular, Raylar has worked there and at HP Dyno. I can't speak for Ray, but I would love for him to conduct the testing, you won't find a more honest and candid opinion. He also already has the necessary equipment to perform the testing.

The testing could reflect HP and torque gains as well as ease of installation. If we could get 3 or 4 guys to participate it would only cost roughly $450.00 per guy.

Four sets of exhaust would need two full days on the dyno.

As stated in this thread as well as others, Raylar conducted our dyno testing, so he's very familiar with the Dana system and he has expressed his opinion on our exhaust.

We're not interested in a macho man contest, but we'd love to participate in a friendly dyno day that would result in some good comparisions with different exhaust systems on the market.

That sounds awesome I hope things work out so it CAN happen....even though I already purchased the Dana exhaust:D

CPPerformance 03-02-2007 12:17 PM

Full Stainless Steel 496 Headers

Originally Posted by Undertaker (Post 2043818)
CP you threw out a price for the black and silver coated headers how about the stainless steel headers, I thought they were close to the same money as CMI....just curious:D

Everyday Low Price: Satin Finish or Polished Finish.

If you are interested please PM or call for special OSO member discount

Thanks,
Brad
800-225-9871 x11

bobl 03-02-2007 12:20 PM

OK Bob(Dana Marine), we can make it happen. I've got the engine and a set of your headers. Send me the CMI's. I've also got a set of Lighnings that I may be able to test. The boat will be at my shop within the hour to begin baseline testing. I am going to lake test the boat today and get a good GPS number. Then propshaft dyno it. Install your exhaust and repeat the dyno and lake test next week. Then I'm pulling the engine and will put it on the engine dyno to compare flywheel HP data. From that point we're installing a Raylar kit and will repeat the dyno and in-boat tests. My engine dyno is plumbed to run complete wet exhaust all the way out of the building so it truely is just like in the boat. Any observers would be welcome. I'm in central Texas.

Bob

CPPerformance 03-02-2007 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by yesrej (Post 2043572)
so for the lighting headers, you have to buy a whole new silent choice system.

If you were to purchase the Lightning's Silent Choice system the diverters are included click here for more info and to see a picture
NOTE: That particular part # is NOT for the 496

dana marine products 03-02-2007 01:38 PM

Hey Bob - Sounds good, I'll get in touch with my Comp X rep (CMI company) and make sure they don't have a problem participating.

I know what you're doing is alot of work, so I as well as others here greatly appreciate your volunteer work.

Buddy OO 03-02-2007 07:14 PM

$3900 for the stainless Lightnings is very close to the CMI's are'nt they, I agree the best bang for the buck would be Ray's 103 kit. Sounds like the Dana headers are the real deal. You guys are doing the best thing in having them evaluated by a third party at your expense. Speaks highly of your confidence in your products. good luck

Yamaha 225 03-02-2007 07:46 PM

Hi, how much would I be able to gain on a 377 Scorpion engine if I change to tubular headers? I have CMI silent choise today and want to continue to have silent choise. What wld you reccomend? Or do I need a blower kit?

Thanx for input!