Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best 496 headers? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/152173-best-496-headers.html)

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 02-25-2007 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Undertaker (Post 2037964)
Purchased mine from Jaime @ Lakeside Restorations a sponsor on here give him a call he is very knowlegeable and willing to answer any questions IMO. Good luck

Thanks.. :)

Your manifolds & risers arrived on friday.. Bling bling! The tips are still on the way.. :D

Btw: I believe I said labor to install the manifolds is a minimum of 3-4 hrs depending on application, not including the tips.. ;)
The Cmi system takes even more time to do due to line mods & other relocations.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside

Undertaker 02-25-2007 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by DONZI33 (Post 2038036)
Thanks.. :)

Your manifolds & risers arrived on friday.. Bling bling! The tips are still on the way.. :D

Btw: I believe I said labor to install the manifolds is a minimum of 3-4 hrs depending on application, not including the tips.. ;)
The Cmi system takes even more time to do due to line mods & other relocations.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside

Cool when we gettin those bad boys installed..... 3-4, 5 hrs whatever they are a lot less than CMI'S thats what I was trying to say.

Undertaker

tblrklakemo 02-25-2007 10:57 AM

Sweet....let us know how the dana product turns out. I am very close to buying something like that. What is needed for install besides nut drivers and a torque wrench? Any special tools?

Undertaker 02-25-2007 11:08 AM

Will do...

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 02-25-2007 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo (Post 2038165)
Sweet....let us know how the dana product turns out. I am very close to buying something like that. What is needed for install besides nut drivers and a torque wrench? Any special tools?

Check you PM Box.. :D

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 02-25-2007 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Undertaker (Post 2038144)
Cool when we gettin those bad boys installed..... 3-4, 5 hrs whatever they are a lot less than CMI'S thats what I was trying to say.

Undertaker

No problem.. :) I think you will like them.. THe shine alone should be good for some attention.. lol.. :D

They will be in for when you pick up the ride.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside

Undertaker 02-25-2007 04:37 PM

Cool....talk to ya later...

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 02-25-2007 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Undertaker (Post 2038466)
Cool....talk to ya later...

;)

Michael1 02-26-2007 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Undertaker (Post 2037963)
Just ordered the new Dana Marine exhaust for my Donzi 22 classic w/ 496 HO was told 40-45 hp gains about 3 hrs install time and if ya put there new exhaust tips on you will notice a VERY NICE sound.....can not wait for spring

How do you get 40-50 more horsepower from an engine that uses a speed-density fuel injection system? Are you having the computer reprogrammed, and, if so, how do you reprogram the computer?

Michael

Bill 3 02-26-2007 08:11 AM

I have been doing some light research on the 496 exhaust as well. Some things I have been told are the fact that without changing internals or adding an "air maker", the exhaust is where the horsepower gains are. CMI has dyno sheets showing 50 HP. The gains are produced by the scavenging effect of the long primary tube header. I guess EMI and the like (aluminum manifold similar to stock) produce some HP but less than headers. I haven't seen any actual dyno sheets. It is also my understanding that the results from adding exhaust shown on the 454/502's mean nothing on the 496 platform. And I get the impression from reading Raylar's comments that the stock exhaust isn't that bad and the improvements from aftermarket is minimal without making the motor flow more air from changing cam, heads, etc.

So what do us "frugal" guys do to gain around 50 hp?

Anyone with a crystal ball or money tree?