Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   45' Sonic - Anyone know?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/152892-45-sonic-anyone-know.html)

45sonic 03-07-2007 07:13 PM

Actually the triple engines are not all that bad on fuel. It just depends on how you run. As far as trailering. We pull with a F350 set up to tow bigger loads but as far as taking it to a gas station it just depends on how far and how the station is set up. Some are a real pain in the @ss to manuever in but other than that it is just a little longer.

What type of cruiser are you looking at? We have one getting ready to go up for sale.

Sydwayz 03-07-2007 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by 43Thunder (Post 2050210)
Actually that is not Offshore Scores boat, but one very similar to it.

Dayum! :D Does John still have his boat?

45sonic 03-07-2007 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2050401)
Dayum! :D Does John still have his boat?

Yes, but it has been painted with different colors and has scoops on the engine hatch also has no arch. Usually keeps it on a lift at Gilligan's

offshoredrillin 03-08-2007 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by bford1 (Post 2049778)
Thanks Joe. I am looking for opinions they are all helpful.

Trailering is a pain. I can go to different lakes or the Gulf if I trailer. Where I live there isn't much of a place to boat. So, my choice is to either trailer in which case the cheaper gas is available. Or, getting a slip and limiting my boating to lake Travis.

I definitely see your point. Trailering my 35 Formula was a pain. Trailering this 45 Sonic would be even more so. But, we could stay on it longer. I'd also have to go buy one of those new F450 Fords or something to trailer the thing. My F250 is ready for a trade in anyways.

Thank you

I trailer my 42 Tiger and really havent met with too many issues getting gas at stations, usually people are pretty cool and come up and talk, you get the occaisional idiot that pulls in as your backing up, but they usually get the point when you keep going...most will come over look at the pump and say WOW, it costs that much?

oh and if the one here in MD is an option for you, I highly recommend the efi over the carb one...

hpoffshore 03-08-2007 08:58 AM

A triple engine boat may well consume $100.00/hr, but you have to look @ what you've done withit, and how far you've gone on that same $100.00. A cruiser is truly not much better because of the longer amount of time it takes to arrive at your destination...less fuel burn(maybe) - longer burning time. Also, you're cruising rpm can be as much as 15% less for the same hull speed in a triple package + lower stay-on-plane speeds and less wear & tear on motors and drives. Nothing can change about another filter, spark plugs, oil changes etc.
Engine-room access to do maintanence, in alot of triples, is also very good.

bford1 03-08-2007 04:35 PM

Thanks again for all of the opinions. I'm seriously thinking about buying this big sucker.

If I were to get a cruiser it would probably be a Formula 400SS or 370SS. My dad has a 04 400SS and I think it's great. It just doesn't move. With the 496 HOs it's supposed to do low 50s. But, I can't hardly get the thing over 45. Adding trim actually decreases speed unless you are totally WOT. I love the idea of the Cabin but think I would miss the speed if I went with the cabin cruiser.