Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Your boat cost vs... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/152915-your-boat-cost-vs.html)

Stormrider 03-05-2007 09:28 PM

Your boat cost vs...

the cost of your home... or what your home is valued at.
In a thread in one of the owners forums we are discussing new boat pricing.
One board member noted, "I can almost garuantee that most of the clientelle are successful middle and upper middle class".

I kind of find that hard to believe.

So I'd like to get an idea of what the cost of your NEW boat was compared to what your house is valued at. I'd like to only see what NEW boat owners paid, sorry used boat buyers...
Actually i'll see if I can split up the poll, new used.

mikebrls 03-05-2007 09:33 PM

used boat 2004 38 foot sonic
3 time's what i paid 10 years ago for my house :(
3/4 what it's worth now :(
what we do for the thrill of offshore
" i owe i owe off to work i go : :)

Stormrider 03-05-2007 09:39 PM

sorry it took me so long to do the poll mike.
Figure against what your house is worth now... since you can borrow against it.
I could be dead wrong, but I just dont see middle to upper middle class guys w/ families, bringing home 100k a year, buying $200,000 boats.

t500hps 03-05-2007 09:55 PM

2002 382 Formula
Boat cost used (purchased last summer) about what I paid for the house 9 years ago.
New version of my boat today is about what my house is worth today.

dave911 03-05-2007 10:01 PM

2.8%!
Inexpensive boat and not a cheap house...no such thing in SoCal!

kennyo 03-06-2007 08:08 AM

I love my boat, It's my favorite hobby but i have too many other things I enjoy also than to spend over 5-10% the cost of my house. I upgrade at about a 20k clip every 3-4 years.

satisfactionII 03-06-2007 08:16 AM

I'm happy with what I have, of course like all of red blooded americans I want more, I just decide to do it with fiscal responsibility.

H20 Toie 03-06-2007 11:33 AM

Compared to my house now the boat is less than 20% but it was more then two of my previous houses

haulinvols 03-06-2007 11:44 AM

Well, my wife and I live fairly comfortable. The house was worth about twice what the boat cost new at the time we purchased the boat.

We could do more, but then we might have to cut back on all of the other things we enjoy doing.

Joe 03-06-2007 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider (Post 2047882)
the cost of your home... or what your home is valued at.
In a thread in one of the owners forums we are discussing new boat pricing.
One board member noted, "I can almost garuantee that most of the clientelle are successful middle and upper middle class".

I kind of find that hard to believe.

So I'd like to get an idea of what the cost of your NEW boat was compared to what your house is valued at. I'd like to only see what NEW boat owners paid, sorry used boat buyers...
Actually i'll see if I can split up the poll, new used.

Are you considering each person only has one home, or combination of them all?

Joe