Preventing Boat/Trailer/Parts Theft While on the Road >

Preventing Boat/Trailer/Parts Theft While on the Road

Notices

Preventing Boat/Trailer/Parts Theft While on the Road

Old 04-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Preventing Boat/Trailer/Parts Theft While on the Road

A lot of boats I am looking at are back East, so there is a good chance I will be towing it home to So. Cal. cross country. I wanted to see if OSO members had some ideas on keeping the boat/trailer (and the parts on them) from getting stolen during the trip back, while getting much needed rest in the motel. I've heard motel parking lots are one of the worst places for boat theft. I did a search, but didn't find much info on this in the archives. Any security tips would be much appreciated!

Michael
Old 04-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
A lot of boats I am looking at are back East, so there is a good chance I will be towing it home to So. Cal. cross country. I wanted to see if OSO members had some ideas on keeping the boat/trailer (and the parts on them) from getting stolen during the trip back, while getting much needed rest in the motel. I've heard motel parking lots are one of the worst places for boat theft. I did a search, but didn't find much info on this in the archives. Any security tips would be much appreciated!

Michael
Hire BGCHuby and leave the driving to him! Be sure to request towing with the cover off so he can get the interior cleaned for you at his expense.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I towed my 382 from LA back to Ohio, I just pulled over or hit a truck stop and slept in the boat with my MagLight and Glock.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Registered

A couple years ago me a few Buds where trailering our Bikes down to Daytona Bike week. I heard all kinds of stories of bikes being ripped off . We spent the night in Atlanta at the Sheraton ( nice place right ? ). We backed the two trailers right tight to each other under the lights . Went to bed thinking all was safe . 3 AM we get a wake up call from security saying we better get down stairs quick . The POS bastard thieves went under my truck (GMC HD ) and disconnected the shifter linkage and just rolled the truck and trailer ahead . Cut the locks and had the rear ramp door down when Security saw and chased them away .
Nothing was taken just needed new locks and a new shifter cable . Don't know what more to say but if you can park your rig right out front where everyone can see it not in the back under a light . Good luck and a safe haul . Paul S.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:24 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whenever we travel, we always stop to rest at a motel that we can park our rig right out in the front of the front desk where the desk person can see the whole truck and boat. Sometimes we need to stop at a few places before we find a motel that we feel comfortable with. Also make sure to ask the desk clerk if he or she is gonna be there the whole night, and stress the point that if "ANYONE" is seen tampering with the boat or truck except for you, to call the police imediatly, and then call your room.

We've never had any problems. I think alot has to do with the area that you choose to stop to rest. Make your decisions wisely. If you don't like the looks of an area, keep driving till you feel comfortable with the surroundings.

Good luck
Frank
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 04-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also make sure there is adequate parking at the hotel you plan to stay at. I had to park at a Hooters a few blocks from my pre-booked hotel because I could not even fit in the parking lot. The Hooters manager was very nice about it and at least had me park under a 24 hour camera in case something did happen.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah sleep in the boat or get a portable alarm bats for the motion detector and plug the base in your room its good for 1200ft at R S.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Registered

give the security guard a 100 bones to park and watch the boat all night
Old 04-05-2007, 11:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 10x
Whenever we travel, we always stop to rest at a motel that we can park our rig right out in the front of the front desk where the desk person can see the whole truck and boat. Sometimes we need to stop at a few places before we find a motel that we feel comfortable with. Also make sure to ask the desk clerk if he or she is gonna be there the whole night, and stress the point that if "ANYONE" is seen tampering with the boat or truck except for you, to call the police imediatly, and then call your room.

We've never had any problems. I think alot has to do with the area that you choose to stop to rest. Make your decisions wisely. If you don't like the looks of an area, keep driving till you feel comfortable with the surroundings.

Good luck
Frank
I stopped in South Carolina last night on the way back to Virginia with my new rig. We pulled into one town and didn't like the looks of things. I fueled up and drove another 45 mins. and stopped where things looked OK. Parked right in front of the office at a Hampton Inn and requeated a room in front where i could see the boat. Took this pic. from my room door. Like 10x said if you stop and it doesn't look cool get fuel and drive till your comfortable. My baby is home in the driveway tonight safe and sound.
Attached Thumbnails Preventing Boat/Trailer/Parts Theft While on the Road-home-sweet-home-020.jpg  
Old 04-06-2007, 05:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ACTIVESHACK
I stopped in South Carolina last night on the way back to Virginia with my new rig. We pulled into one town and didn't like the looks of things. I fueled up and drove another 45 mins. and stopped where things looked OK. Parked right in front of the office at a Hampton Inn and requeated a room in front where i could see the boat. Took this pic. from my room door. Like 10x said if you stop and it doesn't look cool get fuel and drive till your comfortable. My baby is home in the driveway tonight safe and sound.
LOOK AT ME i THOUGHT MINE WAS SAFE IN MY YARD

Quick Reply: Preventing Boat/Trailer/Parts Theft While on the Road

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.