Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The start of emissions! and the end of the 496!! >

The start of emissions! and the end of the 496!!

Notices

The start of emissions! and the end of the 496!!

Old 03-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts
Default The start of emissions! and the end of the 496!!

http://www.ibinews.com/ibinews/newsd...16ibinews.html

It was only a matter of time....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn. So, 2009 marks the end of the 8.1! What's going to be the next stock big block for Merc????

4.3L and 8.1L engines manufactured by General Motors (GM will stop producing these models after 2009)
Old 03-13-2007, 02:06 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will be a new generation of big blocks. Just like cummins stopped the 5.9 and intorduced the 6.7 for dodge. bigger displacement to make the same hp only choked down more. I am not worried.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up New GM Big Block

When at this last SEMA show, the GM reps said it would be an LS series based "454", structured after the LS1, LS6, LS2, LS7, etc...Blocks, at that time, were to become available by March 2007(this month). Should be an interesting package after Mercruiser marinizes them. For a pushrod engine, they have a lot of potential as well...

Last edited by Ed; 03-13-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Banned

thats too bad, the 496 is a great package, and there has been so much r&d on after market performance parts. wonder if this will hurt sales pricing on 496 boats?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I would imagine that the old gneration 5.7 and 6.2 engines would be phased out for the newer, cleaner LS series of engines, too. The LS is a very good engine series.

Having said that, the justification for the marine emission standards as far as Southern California is concerned was based on a complete lie. I calculated for the emissions load they were claiming, there would have to be a gasoline powered boat offshore every 30 ft. in the South Coast basin, since we have virtually no lakes in the South Coast basin. I rode my bike everyday at the beach, and most days there wasn't one boat out there. Liars.

When it comes to "environmentalists", I'm sorry to say it, but they are the biggest liers you will ever see. Their numbers are fabricated, and, unfortunately, groups like the NMMA just don't take the time to distill the data.

The "environmentalists" recently lied again when it came to emission checks for cars 30 years or older here in California. The assemblyman who wrote the bill, claimed classic cars constituted 2.6 percent of the car population, and 1.3 percent of the miles driven. I didn't believe it. That means we should see one 30 year old or order car for every 100 cars. So I did my own survey at a freeway overpass on a sunny Saturday, when those old cars are most likely to be on the road (giving them every benefit of the doubt). Even under these ideal conditions, I sampled 1000 cars, and saw only 2 30+ year old cars. So instead of the 1.3% they claimed, it was 0.2 percent.

It doesn't take much to catch these liars in the act. Anytime you hear "this or that is polluting this much", check their data. In most cases, it's a lie.

There are some environmentalists who really are environmentalists, but they are the minority. Most are just leftists who hide behind environmentalism to justify their war against the Western standard of living. It's about control, not the environment.

Michael
Old 03-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael1
I did my own survey at a freeway overpass on a sunny Saturday, when those old cars are most likely to be on the road (giving them every benefit of the doubt). Even under these ideal conditions, I sampled 1000 cars, and saw only 2 30+ year old cars. So instead of the 1.3% they claimed, it was 0.2 percent.

Michael
HAHA, Kudos to ya for taking the initiative, but DAMN you got some time on your hands
Old 03-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Registered

Michael, Excellent post, well written and conceived! Enviros just want to dumb down and position the USA as just another Third World country... Well I say F*&$ THEM! I am going to burn every last drop until the day I die, by boating, racing, and driving my BIG Dodge trucks and Harleys... They can kiss my WHITE ass!!! LOL
Old 03-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G.M. will not being making any new big blocks period. Diesels for trucks for towing. LS series for SUV light truck.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Registered

Can you help me on this ????....what they mean by that ????...regulated SD/I engines ...thank`s to take time
Hope my question is clear

Quick Reply: The start of emissions! and the end of the 496!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.