Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why So Little Attention to Windshielding by Performance Boat Manufacturers? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/153326-why-so-little-attention-windshielding-performance-boat-manufacturers.html)

ToTheMax 03-12-2007 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm (Post 2054473)
Whats about Dragon. They have a full front shield.

I think they actually pulled it off quite nicely, its definitely unique, but looks pretty cool :cool:

TeamSaris 03-12-2007 07:34 PM

[QUOTE=PWRCAT;2054112]Another One Word Eliminator. I know a guy who at 80+ smokes a cigar while driving a 27 icc Daytona. Eliminator seams to put wind protection into the mix in their boats. The new 27 I have also has a motorized wind deflector plate in between the canopies for the rear passengers. Thats protection.

[QUOTE]

Not a Real F-16 canopy like Skater,Motion,Spectre etc.
I dont like 1/4 Canopies when they flex at 100 + :rolleyes:

wrinkleface 03-12-2007 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 2054780)
This is the perfect quote. Maybe a Formula guy can chime in here, I don't think the windshields block out all of the wind. When I bought my 32 it could have come with a fairing or taylor windshield and I was told there was not a lot of difference in wind resistance between the two. I bought the fairing since it looked much better.

Depends on your height! On my Formula's 312, 353, 382, unfortunately while sitting (which is how I drive most of the time), my eye level was right at the top of the windshield frame! So my head would get pretty good wind. My wife B'n shorter looked thru the glass and did get less wind. I am about 5'10" and the wife 5'4"ish!

epeek 03-12-2007 08:27 PM

Actually,My fountain has a fairing with the wind deflector
and its works very good.Sitting,no wind,standing very little.
I'm 5'11" by the way.

TeamSaris 03-13-2007 05:26 AM

Im a lil bit over 6 foot and riding in the Formulas is always nice bacause the windshield blocks the wind enough so that your eyes are not water etc.
Although im almost always standing.

Shanghied Again 03-13-2007 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Donzi does a good job with there wind deflector on the ZRs she is low but affective takes the wind and rolls it over your head.

PhantomChaos 03-16-2007 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Shanghied Again (Post 2056148)
Donzi does a good job with there wind deflector on the ZRs she is low but affective takes the wind and rolls it over your head.

sweet!!!

cshults 06-20-2007 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tom A. (Post 2054478)
Windshields, ie. glass, and offshore don't mix. Lexan windscreens, deflectors and canopies are the only way to go safely. Technically the "windsields" on the Outerlimits, Donzi Comps, Dragon, and various cats are types of canopies cut down and use a type of lexan or impact plastic. Framed windshields are not allowed in offshore racing (even 20 years ago we had to remove the glass from the 29' A-class Mirage) and all the true off-shore fishing boats don't have front windows. Framed glass can't take the impact of a big wave or stuff.

You're absolutely right, I was once riding in my dad's 29' Mirage as a little kid up in the St. Lawrence river, we cruised over a huge wave and when we hit the water one of the front glass panels shattered into a million pieces.

However, as far as aesthetics go, I prefer a nice windshield like that old mirage had vs. what is being produced today.

nadledvinka 06-20-2007 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by camptappakeg69 (Post 2053858)
Kinda like it when my face starts flappin :cool:

I agree.:D :D

BOBCATMATHEWS 06-20-2007 01:19 PM

it rains alot in south fla. and it is nice to duck down behind the windshield when caught in a storm and haulin azz home,but gets awfully hot when idling around listening to music