Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best Marine Stereo (clarion Vs Jl,jbl,etc..) >

Best Marine Stereo (clarion Vs Jl,jbl,etc..)

Notices

Best Marine Stereo (clarion Vs Jl,jbl,etc..)

Old 03-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 2,957 Likes on 981 Posts

I've had mulitple stereos located in the cabin and the cockpit and have NEVER used marine application stereos. And I've never had a problem due to not having a marine app. stereo.

I just had the aux. cable for my ipod hooked to my Eclipse deck for the Cig. Works killer!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenwood 400mr

Runs All Kenwood Sat,ipod,multi Cd Changers,kegs,wired Remotes,subs,etc:d
Old 03-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the way 12s hit. Deep bass is what I like. The only company that sells marine 12s is Polk though, check them out. They have some good stuff. I have heard the woofers before, very clean sound. It's personal preference though, depending what kind of music you play will make a difference on your selection. (like i said, for me I want pure loud bass). If you just want more sound, Clarion, JL, those are all good compaines as well. My favorite out of the two would be 10" JLs
Old 03-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pismo10
"the times" was in the early 90s when almost every car stereo had a mini aux input on the front for the newly invented portable CD player, now they are tough to find because the manufacturers want to sell you an additional $100 Ipod adapters or aux input adapters, etc. Like the $100 Sony XA-300 aux input adapter needed for their Unilink HUs. Fortunately, there are some out there tho that dont need adapters, special cables, etc.
Look at the 2007 sony heads. They finally woke up. gt610 has front panel mini aux in , front panel usb! , built in ipod cable , 2 rca and unilink for all your old sony peripherials and sat radio , either xm or sirius @ a retail price of 159. Hard to beat that value for the dollar. Though not a marine head , good in the cabin.

Someone mentioned polk , I threw out polk due to a mess of their subs surrounds coming unglued from the surround after a real short period of time. I'd sell em on friday and replace them on monday! Not selling polk subs anymore.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
How/where do you store your boat? And where is the stereo going to be mounted?

Reason I ask is you don't really need a marine HU unless you are installing in the cockpit with only a cockpit cover stored outside.

If you are installing in the cabin, and the cabin is normally closed; you can use a regular car audio HU, which gives you lots more to choose from.

I am running a Sony HU. Paramount in my decision was 3 sets of Pre-Amp RCA outputs, (Front, Rear, and Sub) to easily control equalization on the fly from the HU, and not need a separate equalizer, or deal with gains on amps on a regular basis.
(My bass hits so hard sometimes when running that I tend to think I have broken something in the drivetrain; so I turn down the bass when running. )

As far as speakers; JL Audio are probably the best quality and sound marine speakers available.
Followed by MBQuart and Babb, but both of these are now no longer imported or out of business respectively.

Hi All,

As far as the Babb being out of business, yes and no. We are DC GOLD AUDIO and are manufacturing the original Babbs with a few tweaks as the Classic Line and a superior version know as the Reference Line. Please check out our web site www.dcgold.com.