Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Shrink Wrapping for Shipping (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/153658-shrink-wrapping-shipping.html)

TSPM 03-15-2007 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by otis311 (Post 2058686)
I heard from a guy in California that all you have to do is cover the boat and snap every other snap

:evilb: BE CAREFUL :evilb:

Joe 03-15-2007 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by TSPM (Post 2058605)
The use of quality ANTI CHAFFING film under the shrink wrap is the key.

....or bubble wrap (between the shrink wrap and the hull).

Joe

ActiveFun 03-15-2007 02:31 PM

Shrink wrap it and make sure you tape the sides where the wrap meets the bottom of the hull. Some guys you a string to tie it up, but air can get under that and rip the wrap off.

TSPM 03-15-2007 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Joe (Post 2058870)
....or bubble wrap (between the shrink wrap and the hull).

Joe

Never heard that one. Also that is is problem because it moves around under the shrink wrap also creating a rubbing motion on the paint or gel surface. That will dull or scratch as well....BUBBLE WRAP IS NOT A GOOD IDEA. The Film is a static adhere and is designed to withstand the 300,000 BTW of a shrink wrap gun. Bubble wrap would also melt under the heat creating a HUGE mess. Also as mentioned above Tape method as sealing ONLY....NO STRING JOBS

otis311 03-15-2007 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by TSPM (Post 2058867)
:evilb: BE CAREFUL :evilb:

I couldnt resist

39 Unlimited 03-15-2007 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by TSPM (Post 2058605)
If its done correctly that should not happen...you get what you pay for. All NEW boats we get in for stock are done by the MFG and are perfect upon arrival. The use of quality ANTI CHAFFING film under the shrink wrap is the key. Also the boat must be spotless clean before wrap so nothing between the hull and the wrap act as sandpaper to the finish. It is basically the same film new cars come with on the top and side surfaces. Now this film is somewhat costly and is an additional step in the wrap process so its more time and materials.

Paul, does Nordic use this procedure?

TSPM 03-16-2007 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by otis311 (Post 2059324)
I couldnt resist

Exactly...I cracked up when I saw your post :drink:

TSPM 03-16-2007 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Nordic Gary (Post 2059503)
Paul, does Nordic use this procedure?

Yes they do......shipping cross country to us it must be done correctly to avoid damages and scuffed gelcoat. The multi temperature changes as the product moves cross country makes the shrink wrap expand (heat) and contract (cold) over and over acting like a sander on the finish. Without the anti chaffing film several areas would need to be re buffed with a finishing compound.

RBT 03-16-2007 12:47 PM

Sea Ray uses bubble wrap..... it works fine.
Most issues have been coverd, but a real big issue is to MAKE SURE the entire parimiter of the shrink is taped. When traviling dust and dirt can and will make it up the sides and nomater what you have on the hull to prevent chafing, some will occur unless it is sealed ( you should vet it at the top )

I have probably done 2-3000 boats and learned most of the do's and don'ts

RT

TSPM 03-16-2007 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by RBT (Post 2060080)
Sea Ray uses bubble wrap..... it works fine.

RT

Sea Ray finishes are not in the same league as most high performance boat finishes which can be like a mirror. You would not notice micro fine scratches on a Sea Ray where you would easily notice them on a highly buffed finish.