Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Another OSO member picks up a new 37 Active Thunder: (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/153778-another-oso-member-picks-up-new-37-active-thunder.html)

cuda 03-16-2007 04:59 PM

I didn't know the AT's used a DDC hull. I've been a big fan of the DDC hull way before I got into performance boating. I believe Larson used to make a fishboat with the DDC hull.

Sydwayz 03-16-2007 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by BillR (Post 2060356)
Brian,
I guess I am thickheaded, but I don't understand the liner delete? How is that possible? How do you make the boat as strong. How is the cabin built with and w/o? Why would want or not want a liner.
Looking for detailed explanation. . . . . . .

Good question.

Its all in personal preference. Going with non-liner, the same stringers and bulkheads are still put into the boat as a liner boat. The head is actually dropped in as one solid piece as well. With the non-liner, you are going to have a bit more width in the V-berth, since you don't have double walls. (The liner boat therefore is a little better insulated when using AC-Heat.)
Going with a non-liner allows you to be more creative and more custom in the interior. If you want the couch moved two inches; if you want wood veneer and brushed stainless pieces in the cabin, you would go sans liner. Either boat gets you Corian countertops and steps, leatherette interior, AC/Heat, microwave, AC/DC refrigerator, TV/DVD, hot water/cold water system; if you so desire.

The liner boat, has the entire cabin dropped in one piece. All of your storage compartments, cabinets, bulkhead surrounds, and cabin walls are a solid piece, but this is not adding to the structural rigidity of the boat in any great aspect. The hull liner is not as thick as the hull. Some think the liner boat has more storage than a non-liner boat, but its all in what you want designed into the boat that makes the difference. The liner is fixed to the stringers and bulkhead in the same fashion as the piece/component built non-liner boat.

The non-liner boat may save you a few pounds too, but it all depends on your options. I heard Macklin opted for the AT Magic Cooler too, but its only for AT owners' consumption. :D

Some like the flowing finish of the liner boat (like Rich's, Mark's, and my own). Some like the use of different materials in the cabin, hence Steve's, Macklin's and Clark's boats.
Price is comparable either way.

stecz20 03-16-2007 05:33 PM

which boat rides better fountain or AT....:chimp:

Sydwayz 03-16-2007 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by stecz20 (Post 2060409)
which boat rides better fountain or AT....:chimp:

Depends on whether the cockpit cover has snaps or mini-bungees. :evilb:

rainmn 03-16-2007 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by cuda (Post 2060363)
I didn't know the AT's used a DDC hull. I've been a big fan of the DDC hull way before I got into performance boating. I believe Larson used to make a fishboat with the DDC hull.

Larson makes (or made, not sure if they still do) a bunch of boats with the DDC hull. My little 24' Larson cuddy has it.

stecz20 03-16-2007 05:44 PM

outerlimits or At...... :D

Jassman 03-16-2007 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by stecz20 (Post 2060429)
outerlimits or At...... :D

That's easy.....NORTECH:drink:

Macklin 03-16-2007 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2060211)
Congrats Macklin!

The boat will be in the Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads area in a matter of weeks.

Well, well, what a surprise to come home to this! Thanks Brian!!

We have close to 100 boats in the HRPA now....BUT...mine will be the first AT!!

I am just thrilled with how the rendering turned out. My wife, quite the accomplished designer herself, cranked out about a dozen sketches of various paint schemes we liked based on previous AT's. We kept going back to the first one she did. And then Pat and crew took it to the next level!

Those who know me know this is far and away the wildest paint and most aggressive decision I have made in my long boating career. :eek: :D :drink:

stecz20 03-16-2007 06:44 PM

very nice rig, good luck with her.. this is one rig with a bang for your buck.... i hope you guys did not mind me bringing some humor into this thread....

wrinkleface 03-16-2007 06:49 PM

Very nice, Congratz!