Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   High speed turns (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/153967-high-speed-turns.html)

thedonz 03-20-2007 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by marylandmark (Post 2064573)
I want to take a course and will at some point, however until then won't be doing any "race turns" but still would like to know "how". If I came flying up on a tree in the river or some thing and say a channel marker in front of that or whatever which would put me in a race type turn situation.

32 non stepped twin outboards- neutral trim and keep in the throttle? (will edit to correct way when correct answer given so wrong info not out there..)

please understand that the scenerio you are talking about is nothing like a high speed turn in racing...in racing, an experienced driver/throttleman is anticipating the turn, speed, the conditions and the surrounding traffic, and acts accordingly based on his training and experience.............in your scenerio, it is an unexpected event....in these conditions you are reacting without having time to prepare for the event (evasive maneuver).....experience is important in knowing the limits and capabilities of your hull so that you can react accordingly as a reflex without oversteer (and thus barrel rolling)...........this is usually the case when going too fast for the conditions and trying to avoid a collision with a suddenly appearing object......bottom line....practice, practice, practice; know your limitations and that of the conditions around you

phragle 03-20-2007 07:16 PM

I want to take a course and will at some point, however until then won't be doing any "race turns" but still would like to know "how". If I came flying up on a tree in the river or some thing and say a channel marker in front of that or whatever which would put me in a race type turn situation.
well, given this sceneio, the last thing your going to do is a 90 degree turn. first, you shouldnt be overdriving the conditions or your knowledge of the area. but as we all know sh!t happens. at this point and at a high rate of speed, you have very limited options. 1 being panic and do noithing (definitly not prefered, but unfortunately routinely choosen) 2. make an abrupt but very small change in direction usually your best choice as the boat should respond to the steering input quickly and without upset as its a small change (bouys etc are not very big so it doesnt take much to miss them) 3. freak out and yank the wheel hard over and pray the law of enertia doesnt trump the physics of friction. remember the front of your boat is pointy, the side is big and flat it would be a lot safer to take a glancing blow than to broadside or barrell roll.
if racing is your actual intention, see tres, in the meantime, take a beach ball, tie a anchor to it and practice, go slow, increase your speed gradually, try different trims, try different conditions..keep doing it untill the boat is an extension of yourself, untill you can make it do what you want without thinking, then practice somemore because sooner or later its not going to react the way its supposed too, thats when the hours of practice matter. lots of practice..you get to change your shorts and it makes great conversation at the bar, not a lot of practice and generic trim settings..what do you want on your tombstone.. I have been racing various things since 88, sooner or later talent runs out and skill is the only thing that will save your butt.

Wardey 03-20-2007 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tres (Post 2064974)
Who helped you do that???:D :D :D

Oh Tres, Your my hero......did you get my bouquet of roses today ???:D :D Call me buddy, hope all is well ( I need some getta way Ocala style). Dave

Ted G 03-20-2007 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by marylandmark (Post 2064573)

32 non stepped twin outboards- neutral trim and keep in the throttle? (will edit to correct way when correct answer given so wrong info not out there..)

Mark you should be able to get a feel for the boat and how it handles at speed just driving it and turning during normal operation. When we are talking a race type turn it is more drawn out and covers a larger arch than you would need to avoid an obstacle or debris . Remember that in a quick turn you are better to do as little as possible so as many physical properties as possible remain the same. In other words, quick turn, then regain control and get the boat and yourself settled back down before making any speed, trim, or tab changes. You are getting a great boat and a very good hull, it will take good care of you.

glassdave 03-20-2007 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by insptech (Post 2065330)
Mark you should be able to get a feel for the boat and how it handles at speed just driving it and turning during normal operation. When we are talking a race type turn it is more drawn out and covers a larger arch than you would need to avoid an obstacle or debris . Remember that in a quick turn you are better to do as little as possible so as many physical properties as possible remain the same. In other words, quick turn, then regain control and get the boat and yourself settled back down before making any speed, trim, or tab changes. You are getting a great boat and a very good hull, it will take good care of you.

true all that. We dont make quick turns around a turn marker but rather set the boat going into the turn and carry a constant wide arc and speed and also keeping your lane (for the most part). No diving at the pin and whipping around it. Performance boating is pro-active just take your time to learn the handling characteristics of your boat and stay ahead of the situation. There is no "blueprint" for trim and tab settings for turning your boat, as Tres mentioned you will have to go through a discovery process for each boat.

Tres 03-21-2007 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by insptech (Post 2065330)

This still does not change the fact that people driving the boats are unaware of the footprint in the water and how that chages in a turn and where weight is shifting to. Too many boats have went upside down already @ 45-50 MPH and the drivers are unaware what caused them to lose control.That is what we teach.Understanding, and control.

Ted G 03-21-2007 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tres (Post 2065556)
This still does not change the fact that people driving the boats are unaware of the footprint in the water and how that chages in a turn and where weight is shifting to. Too many boats have went upside down already @ 45-50 MPH and the drivers are unaware what caused them to lose control.That is what we teach.Understanding, and control.

I totally agree that there is a lot people don't know about how and why a high performance boat does what it does. And I think you have a great program that everyone, myself included, can benefit from. I just meant that in a close on avoidance situation there really is no time to properly set the boat for a turn and it is better to work on keeping your reactions in check (less correction is better) than trying to reset speed or trim and trying to turn. You would have to agree that if a boat goes over at 45-50 overcorrection is a virtual certainty as the cause.

Wardey 03-21-2007 09:25 AM

All joking aside.....Tres does have a VERY imformative school and he does cover setting the boat up for a turn. I recommend this school for every performance boater out there. With any purchase on an Extreme, we supply the school at no cost to the purchaser. I feel that any boat owner can benifit and this is a necessity for ANY performance boat owner. The bottom line is, if you don't need to make a high speed turn, then why do it? Dave

Tres 03-21-2007 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by insptech (Post 2065569)
I totally agree that there is a lot people don't know about how and why a high performance boat does what it does. And I think you have a great program that everyone, myself included, can benefit from. I just meant that in a close on avoidance situation there really is no time to properly set the boat for a turn and it is better to work on keeping your reactions in check (less correction is better) than trying to reset speed or trim and trying to turn. You would have to agree that if a boat goes over at 45-50 overcorrection is a virtual certainty as the cause.

We teach defensive driving manuvers that avoid collision with little or no contact and with calling the boat into a turn.

pullmytrigger 03-21-2007 10:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
heres me hanging corners in the 29 non step....the boat likes tons of positive trim to go fast but these turns taken at about 45 to 50 are taken at neutral trim and the tabs all the way up........I practiced in calm water and slowly worked up to it.....doing this in rough conditions is something else again though!.......went the same speed and repeatedly cranked in more steering each time......different trim levels........if I turn with too much positive trim you can feel it start to slide.......turn the opposite way!!.....staighten the boat out!!.......I feel very confident now and didnt have too much problem with it.......although in the 80s I was a nationaly ranked superbike racer and people say I can drive anything very fast with control.....:eek:
And I would reccomend a cruising trim setting that allows enough boat in the water that you can actually make an evaisive manuver around said log or whatever......even if it makes you lose a couple of mph.......