Notices

Diesel Fuel and Baby Oil

Old 04-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Diesel Fuel and Baby Oil

I was talking w/ a client of ours who is an industry noted "expert" in bio-fuel etc... He mentioned that using "clear" lubricant is much easier/better. He suggested veg. oil (not clear) and baby oil (1/2 gallon per each 20 gal. of Diesel).

Questions:
1) Can anyone back this up (or argue a better solution ---w/ facts, plz.... no opinions).
2) Is this more applicable to the "new" 2008 diesel engines, or the same w/ them all (old version that can run both diesel fuels (pre-ultra-low and the new ultra-low sulfur?).

In advance, thanks guys!

Joe
Old 04-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you suggesting it as an additive?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i have herd some peaple putting in 1 quart of 2 stroke oil to a full tank of fuel
i have a new 2007 deisal it say's low sulfer only . are peaple adding these aditive's to older deisals only becuase they where not made to run the low sulfer in them and dont have enoughe luberciant in them . the new motor's should be fine without adding anything i would think ??
thank's
mike
Old 04-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mikebrls
i have herd some peaple putting in 1 quart of 2 stroke oil to a full tank of fuel
i have a new 2007 deisal it say's low sulfer only . are peaple adding these aditive's to older deisals only becuase they where not made to run the low sulfer in them and dont have enoughe luberciant in them . the new motor's should be fine without adding anything i would think ??
thank's
mike
That is exactly the question.... Anyone, anyone!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

I don't know anything on the subject, but the new ultra-low diesel stickers on the pumps say "good for ALL diesel engines".
Old 04-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The newer diesels with the common rail systems don't rely on the sulpher in the fuel for lubricity like they did back in the day of the mechanical rotary style injection pumps. I've heard people doing the 2 stroke oil thing and some have claimed mpg increases, but I've never been wow'd enough to try it out.

Besides, it seems to me, at least with a newer truck under warranty (particulary a new ford which is already having recall issues) you'd be better off just running straight diesel out of the pump without the additives as I'm sure there are going to be attempts to deny warranty claims. Already heard of it happening with aftermarket exhaust and intakes, but the dealer/manufacturer has to prove that they caused the problem. Just seems like more hassle than it would be worth on a new truck.

Last edited by jordy; 04-18-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stick with Power Service or Stanadyne. You can't go wrong, they both have new formulations to increase lubricity even more since ULS diesel hit the market.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

You don't need to add anything to the fuels! Low sulfur fuel has been around for at least five years now and no one has had a problem.....I had over 2000 test vehicles across the country running it since 2002.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dgduck13
You don't need to add anything to the fuels! Low sulfur fuel has been around for at least five years now and no one has had a problem.....I had over 2000 test vehicles across the country running it since 2002.
Good to know.... Thanks. What has been the consensus that generated the whole, "you need to add lubrication to the new fuel... it can dry out (something in the motor --- don't remember what)?

Joe
Old 04-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe
Good to know.... Thanks. What has been the consensus that generated the whole, "you need to add lubrication to the new fuel... it can dry out (something in the motor --- don't remember what)?

Joe
NO additives ever!!!!!!!!! If you put any type of additivves in a new 2007 engine with an exhaust aftertreatment device you will have more problems that you will know what to do with. The extra chemicals (when burned) will plug the platinum based ceramic core. This will close off the exhaust stream(with Deisel Particulate Matter, black soot) and reduce power. You will have to replace the DPF (Deisel Particulate Filter) And it will not be covered under warranty. It will cost you thousands (yes thousands) of dolllars.

The lubrication thing is a myth when it comes to the new fuels...........

Last edited by Maritime_Eng; 04-18-2007 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Diesel Fuel and Baby Oil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.