Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Engine flush (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/153996-engine-flush.html)

GOFASTJUNKIE 03-19-2007 06:40 PM

Engine flush

I am looking for a fresh water flush system to install on my new Checkmate. I have been looking on the internet and can't seem to find one. I must be using the wrong name. I am sure you guys know what I mean. One that hooks up to a garden hose and not the one that goes onto an Alpha. I have the Bravo drive.

US1 Fountain 03-19-2007 06:48 PM

So simple. Don't need to look online for anything.
Tee into the supply right before the seawater pump, run off that tee up to a hose connector. Done!

StillHaulin@63 03-19-2007 06:52 PM

I'm using the PERKO model without any problems!

carrboy 03-19-2007 06:55 PM

I have the flush already but have another question...can I run the boat with the hose hooked to the flush?I have a buyer for my 31 and I want to run it for him while he's here...last time I did it I had the muff and I have no idea where it is since the move:rolleyes:

US1 Fountain 03-19-2007 06:57 PM

That's the whole ideal behind it. With the hose hooked up and on, water will go out the drive with motor off. Start motor, the pump will suck the water and push it thru the motor.

tony stamis 03-19-2007 08:06 PM

you should have a shut off valve if you want to run the motor so you dont loose water through the drive

sleek1 03-19-2007 08:09 PM

Carrboy,
good luck with the buyer. I know you've been try to sell your 31 for awhile.

carrboy 03-19-2007 08:30 PM

Thanks guys,I'll let u know how it goes:cool:

US1 Fountain 03-19-2007 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by tony stamis (Post 2063909)
you should have a shut off valve if you want to run the motor so you dont loose water through the drive

You won't. It works. Keep it simple. :)

rangerrick63 03-20-2007 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by GOFASTJUNKIE (Post 2063771)
I am looking for a fresh water flush system to install on my new Checkmate. I have been looking on the internet and can't seem to find one. I must be using the wrong name. I am sure you guys know what I mean. One that hooks up to a garden hose and not the one that goes onto an Alpha. I have the Bravo drive.

I just went thru the exact same search, & did find a couple of kits available. Each had a check ball, & or valve, that troubled me because it seemed as though the outdrive would not be flushed. I did a simple set-up very close to what US1 Fountain did. I went to a local marine hardware, bought the hose fitting adapter from Perko, & then made a trip to Home Depot, bought a "T" 1 1/4 x 5/8, a few feet of hard wall hose, a couple of brass fittings, & hose clamps. I installed the "T" about 1 foot from the sea water pump, installed the adapter in the transom, & then just simply hook the water hose up. Without the engine running, the water dumps thru the outdrive, fire it up, & the water is now pulled thru the pump, & plenty of it. On the muff, I had trouble getting enough water to prime the pump, not a problem now. The whole thing ran me about $40, & took me about an hour to install. Let me know I'd be happy to send ya a couple pics of the install, good luck.