If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: No cost tips

My Boats:

Post No cost tips

Ok,looking for no cost or low cost tips. Here's mine from old drag racing days. When changing plugs select plugs that position themselves with the grounding electrodes toward the bottom, this will open the spark to the combustion chamber resulting in ?%hp. Always makes me feel better.
    Who has other tips?

On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

Degreeing plugs is an old trick but nearly useless......Try and degree some of the multi-tips out there now.....

Platinum Member Platinum Member Tinkerer's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2001 Daytona 26, 1992 SCARAB 34, 1989 25 Checkmate Convincer, 1977 Glastron Carlson CVX 18
    ALTO, MI

On the big block engines--valve notch the cylinders. angle grind the cylinder out to about 1/16 inch from the head gasket at the valve pockets and down to about 1/16 above the top ring mark on the cylinder. This can add 25 to 30 HP.

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: Tinkerboater ]
    Hey even if it ain't broke it's still fun to tinker with it.

Indexing the spark plugs is needed for high dome pistons. It is said there is a very slight increase in power if the spark is directed towards the intake valve. It is so minor I doubt it is worth the time involved.

Notching the block is a very good idea for unshrouding the intake valve. If building a new motor you might want to use offset dowels in the block as well. This will shift the intake valve a few more thousandths further away from the block unshrouding the intake valve even further. Offset dowels cost a couple of bucks at most speed shops.

My Boats:
    2006 Fountain 42x
    Northbrook, Illinois

Cheap tip: marry a mechanic