Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   gem remote for boat lift (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/154336-gem-remote-boat-lift.html)

mr_velocity 03-24-2007 09:58 PM

How is the range on the new GEMs? I have an older one and the range stinks. On my newer TEK remotes they are good for 200 yards, lucky to get 50' on the GEM.

greg bakker 03-24-2007 10:14 PM

new remote is supposed to be 200 yards i found gem remote for 350$ mr. velocity are you fimilar with this lift?

bojoe2 03-24-2007 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by mr_velocity (Post 2069834)
How is the range on the new GEMs? I have an older one and the range stinks. On my newer TEK remotes they are good for 200 yards, lucky to get 50' on the GEM.

thats all your going to get.

bojoe2 03-24-2007 11:13 PM

call jim at atlantic lifts in brick tell him joe (nasso electric) we wire all there lifts. they have jem

mr_velocity 03-25-2007 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by bojoe2 (Post 2069888)
thats all your going to get.

All I'm going to get is 50' or 200 yards? I need to replace the old GEM remote on one of my 3 lifts, the other two have TEK remotes that have great range.
I've been out of the lift biz for 8 years now so I'm not sure what's out there and what may be better than the TEK remotes.

bojoe2 03-25-2007 12:32 PM

tek is good but i like jem controls better seperate contacors in box. stager switch if you want to adjust boat. and if remote lost or damaged easy to find replacements call jim at atlantic
mr velocity is this john K (tallem racing)

mr_velocity 03-25-2007 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by bojoe2 (Post 2070221)
tek is good but i like jem controls better seperate contacors in box. stager switch if you want to adjust boat. and if remote lost or damaged easy to find replacements call jim at atlantic
mr velocity is this john K (tallem racing)

Nope, the other guy in the Tellium boat. I met John when I installed his Hi-Tide lift almost 10 years ago.
All remotes I've seen have the stagger switch, actually one of my remotes has two motor switches, one for each motor, they are high voltage switches that don't rely on the relay inside the box. I've seen those relays fail so its nice to know you're still going to be able to raise or lower the boat in case of a failure. I never use the switches since the remote is always in my hand, I have a few transmitters for each of my lifts.

Is GEM still using Allister radios in their boxes? Mine is so old its still using the remote that you have to set the switches instead of the programmable controls like the TEK boxes.
I used to rep Hi-Tide lifts, 1991 - 2000, I did update one of my tek boxes to a new radio that Hi-Tide came out with a couple of years ago. The range on these boxes is incredible and with the tide swing around here it's nice to be moving the lift while I'm idling down the logoon and still far away.
The only problem I've had with radios was with one lift it was getting some RF interference from somewhere and after you let go of the button the lift would keep running. I had to wrap the radio in copper foil for it to work OK. I had replaced the radio and still had the same problem. What was really funny, this was one of 8 lifts in a marina and it was the only one that had this issue.

BeakBoater35 03-26-2007 05:44 AM

Related question

I'm having a lift with Gem remote installed this spring. Can this unit tolerate being powered by a generator?

Originally Posted by Micker 31 (Post 2069787)
Yep the motor type. Shoot me a message if you need a remote. I can get you one, I'm a dealer for Gem. Just let me know if you want an auto stop and if you have 2 or 4 motors.

Thanks, Mick

greg bakker 03-26-2007 08:39 PM

found gem remote for 350$ seems to be a good price, that is also with the new style remote!

bojoe2 03-26-2007 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by mr_velocity (Post 2070562)
Nope, the other guy in the Tellium boat. I met John when I installed his Hi-Tide lift almost 10 years ago.
All remotes I've seen have the stagger switch, actually one of my remotes has two motor switches, one for each motor, they are high voltage switches that don't rely on the relay inside the box. I've seen those relays fail so its nice to know you're still going to be able to raise or lower the boat in case of a failure. I never use the switches since the remote is always in my hand, I have a few transmitters for each of my lifts.

Is GEM still using Allister radios in their boxes? Mine is so old its still using the remote that you have to set the switches instead of the programmable controls like the TEK boxes.
I used to rep Hi-Tide lifts, 1991 - 2000, I did update one of my tek boxes to a new radio that Hi-Tide came out with a couple of years ago. The range on these boxes is incredible and with the tide swing around here it's nice to be moving the lift while I'm idling down the logoon and still far away.
The only problem I've had with radios was with one lift it was getting some RF interference from somewhere and after you let go of the button the lift would keep running. I had to wrap the radio in copper foil for it to work OK. I had replaced the radio and still had the same problem. What was really funny, this was one of 8 lifts in a marina and it was the only one that had this issue.

YOU HAVE HAD YOUR SHARE OF ISSUES AND SEEM TO HAVE WORKED OUT THE BUGS. WE MOSTLY WIRE UP THE GEM REMOTES FOR ATLANTIC MOSTLY INSTALLS THEM.