Notices

Possum Kingdom Lake Texas

Old 03-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Possum Kingdom Lake Texas

I am curious about this lake. I might spend some time in this area of Texas. This appears to be the closest biggest lake around. Are their powerboats on this lake? Is it a party lake or family lake? Thanks for any help. Tom
Old 03-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks cool
hmmm clear water i may have to check that out
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat...ossum_kingdom/
Old 03-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Registered

I thought so as well......
Old 03-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

To tell you the truth I haven't boated there but once when I was 9, but I have a lot of friends who go there. As you can see from the map it has a lot of narrow areas. There are really not many mainspans, which does not make it ideal for powerboating. You might get up to 70 for a minute or two before you have to navigate a turn around a cliff - very dangerous. The lake has a lot of cliffs and the water is very deep, with no sand, which is why it is so clear, but that deep water also makes it harder to anchor. At a little over 17,000 acres - it is not the biggest lake around. Where are you referring to as being close? You would be much happier driving an extra 30 minutes from Ft Worth to Lake Texoma - 44,000 acres. Texoma is closer to Dallas than PK (about 1 hour drive).

I am pretty biased towards Texoma, thus the name, but with good reason. How many times have you ever heard of a poker run on PK?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
To tell you the truth I haven't boated there but once when I was 9, but I have a lot of friends who go there. As you can see from the map it has a lot of narrow areas. There are really not many mainspans, which does not make it ideal for powerboating. You might get up to 70 for a minute or two before you have to navigate a turn around a cliff - very dangerous. The lake has a lot of cliffs and the water is very deep, with no sand, which is why it is so clear, but that deep water also makes it harder to anchor. At a little over 17,000 acres - it is not the biggest lake around. Where are you referring to as being close? You would be much happier driving an extra 30 minutes from Ft Worth to Lake Texoma - 44,000 acres. Texoma is closer to Dallas than PK (about 1 hour drive).

I am pretty biased towards Texoma, thus the name, but with good reason. How many times have you ever heard of a poker run on PK?

I have been to Texoma many times. I will probaly be in the Abilene area.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've boating at Pk for 20 years.The lake is alot like Travis as far as clear water,big houses alot of nice boats.We refer to it as a mini Travis.Over the years the lake as become quite the hang out for alot of nice boats.You won't ever be running at 70 and have to turn sharp to avoid a cliff unless its at night and you don't know the lake.It has a great party cove surrounded by cliffs called Hells Gate.On hoiliday weekends it gets pretty crazy at the Gate,but you can always find a nice spot some were in there just to hang out.Over the years there has been alot of new marinas built there also.Don't get me wrong Texoma is bad ass,I just think PK is more pleasing on the eyes.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nomomoney
I've boating at Pk for 20 years.The lake is alot like Travis as far as clear water,big houses alot of nice boats.We refer to it as a mini Travis.Over the years the lake as become quite the hang out for alot of nice boats.You won't ever be running at 70 and have to turn sharp to avoid a cliff unless its at night and you don't know the lake.It has a great party cove surrounded by cliffs called Hells Gate.On hoiliday weekends it gets pretty crazy at the Gate,but you can always find a nice spot some were in there just to hang out.Over the years there has been alot of new marinas built there also.Don't get me wrong Texoma is bad ass,I just think PK is more pleasing on the eyes.
ditto
Old 03-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Registered

so a 42 Fountain will not be overkill? Their are other Performance boats on this lake?

Last edited by tomtbone1993; 03-26-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Registered

I have been on PK a couple times, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I never came close to hitting any cliffs There are some performance boats on the lake as well. Several boats trailer in from the DFW area. BUT I will tell you that Abiliene SUCKS! The only thing in that area is a couple of colleges and dry dusty west Texas.

Good Luck!
Old 03-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
so a 42 Fountain will not be overkill? Their are other Performance boats on this lake? This is one of my decision I need if I take a new job
No you should be fine. Like any other lake, it gets crowded on weekends but you would enjoy it. There are other performance boats, you will be one of the larger ones. IMHO the perfect performance boat size on that lake is about a 35 beak.

Quick Reply: Possum Kingdom Lake Texas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.