Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Old boats=Rot (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/154643-old-boats%3Drot.html)

C M R 03-28-2007 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by rainmn (Post 2073565)
It doesn't have to be that old to have rot either. I owned a Crownline that developed all kinds of rot after only a few years.

I agree, we had a newer Chaparral that we ended up having to re-do the stringers. All depends on how the boat is stored and maintained.

TexomaPowerboater 03-28-2007 12:56 PM

Folks bought a 87 Sea Ray with a rotted transom - fixed up nice. He ran it a couple of times with the rotted transom and it didn't fall apart. The boat developed a large crack at the transom that would open up when it was put in the water, it almost sunk the first time he left it in the slip. $5,000 later that boat was more sea worthy than the new one.

phragle 03-28-2007 01:09 PM

wellcrafts are notorious for rot.. other than that...I think a ket factor is how they were built in the first place. if theres a way for water to find its way in, it will and once it gets inside a stringer or a transom, its not going anywhere. the quality of wood is important to. A boat made with good quality marine ply is going to last a lot longer than one built with whatever ply the mfg could get at the cheapest price. a lot of cheap ply is made with glue that water will eventually break down on top of that. I redid the transom and stringers under the engines in my nova last year, but theres still work to do under the floor. a friend has the same year bertram (77) thats solid a the day it was built...no gel cracks all of ike mine, now wet or rotted wood etc. if your buying an old boat, think of it as a contionous restoration project.

TeamSaris 03-28-2007 06:15 PM

Our avanti sat outside for 10 years (built in 85) and still has no rot. Granted, we did put a new trnasom and strings from the cockpit back in.

jeff1000man 03-28-2007 06:47 PM

Mine just surveyed great. I had both engines out couldn't find any soft spots. No spider cracks yet. Still feeling pretty lucky with this one.

jeff1000man 03-28-2007 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by BraceYourself (Post 2073508)
my old boat was an 81, no rot and solid as a rock. Replaced fuel tanks and got a good look at everything. He must just be looking at older boats that weren't taken care of.

http://www.lakecumberlandmarine.com/...e91259008d6e26

How much are they asking for your old boat. Looks really cool.

Sean 03-29-2007 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2073556)
Key words in that are - Las Vegas, NV. Stored out of the water, there is no reason that boat shouldn't last forever.

Congrats.

Jeff...the keyword is Cig... :) :)

my 87 cafe is dry as a bone...

Wally 03-29-2007 08:29 AM

biggest factor is how they were put together at the factory. My old 1985 scarab had only a start of rot around the exhaust holes...but luckly i got to it before it got worse and sealed them up when i cut it open for bigger 4" tips.

Seems like wellcraft didnt bother to seal the freshly cut transoms before assembly.
My buddy's 28 cig sat outside its entire life for the most part till about 5 yrs ago when they bought a 75 sqft factory and now it sits indoors....but when i was working on that boat i saw that everything that was cut open was sealed up....so its as dry as the day it rolled out of the factory.......if anyone worked on the boat after the factory guys then its anyones guess how it will be....

Pismo10 03-29-2007 09:38 AM

Keep it on a lift, put a small bilge pump all the way in the stern bilge against the transom to get that last bit of water out, store inside in winters uncovered with everything open and rot should be much less of a problem.

jeff1000man 03-29-2007 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 2074629)
Jeff...the keyword is Cig... :) :)

my 87 cafe is dry as a bone...

Nice, I will be adding an old cig to my collection soon.