Notices

Old boats=Rot

Old 03-29-2007, 09:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Nice, I will be adding an old cig to my collection soon.
What are you looking to get
Old 03-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
What are you looking to get

90's top gun, bravo rigged or bigger, no power unless it is a killer deal. Tired of re building engines for old boats.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by rainmn
It doesn't have to be that old to have rot either. I owned a Crownline that developed all kinds of rot after only a few years.
Was it a pre-1998? Starting in 1998, Crownline went with XL marine plywood in all of their boats with a lifetime warranty against rot.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PurePassion38
I agree, we had a newer Chaparral that we ended up having to re-do the stringers. All depends on how the boat is stored and maintained.
What year Chap? The only wood in my 2004 is supposed to be the stringers and probably the bulkheads. Everything else is composite including the transom. I would hope Chap uses treated marine plywood for their stringers.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Was it a pre-1998? Starting in 1998, Crownline went with XL marine plywood in all of their boats with a lifetime warranty against rot.

Yes it was - a 1994 to be exact.

I am pretty conviced that in 1994, Crownline bought their boat-building materials from the local Home Depot. If it was wood in that boat, it rotted.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rainmn
Yes it was - a 1994 to be exact.

I am pretty conviced that in 1994, Crownline bought their boat-building materials from the local Home Depot. If it was wood in that boat, it rotted.
LOL! Yeah, they had a lot of problems with rotted wood which is why they switched in '98. I had a '99 266 and it was solid.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I think the thing is there are a lot of boat owners who say their hulls are rock solid, because there are no visible signs or soft spots in the glass. However, core samples have been what my buddy has been taking, and all of the boats he looked at except one have had some wet/rotted wood somewhere, whether it be the transom, bulkhead, or stringers. One of them was a 1990 Top Gun Cigarette. The transom in the Cig was completely rotted and hollow in some spots. Cigarette does a great job at the factory, but what about Joe Schmoe who installs the new indicator cables in 1997 and forgets to seal them properly. Or the marina who installs the depthfinder and forgot the silicone for the mounting screws on the transom.

I guess my real question is, I would like to hear about repercussions from running a boat with rotted wood. Such as hulls cracking, outdrives falling off, engine mounts coming thru, etc etc
Old 03-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not bashing Cig, any boat can have probs.

2006 Chicago Poker Run an older Cig's hull came apart first thing on the run, he had to hi-tail her back to the lift before she sank.

I'm sure there is lot's of rot in alot of boats and owners don't have a clue.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, and avoid drilling more holes in the transom at all costs.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I think the thing is there are a lot of boat owners who say their hulls are rock solid, because there are no visible signs or soft spots in the glass. However, core samples have been what my buddy has been taking, and all of the boats he looked at except one have had some wet/rotted wood somewhere, whether it be the transom, bulkhead, or stringers. One of them was a 1990 Top Gun Cigarette. The transom in the Cig was completely rotted and hollow in some spots. Cigarette does a great job at the factory, but what about Joe Schmoe who installs the new indicator cables in 1997 and forgets to seal them properly. Or the marina who installs the depthfinder and forgot the silicone for the mounting screws on the transom.

I guess my real question is, I would like to hear about repercussions from running a boat with rotted wood. Such as hulls cracking, outdrives falling off, engine mounts coming thru, etc etc
core samples? anyone comes near my boat and wants to take core samples will be turned away...

moisture meters and a plastic mallet will tell the story.

Quick Reply: Old boats=Rot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.