Notices

Merc 575 Question...

Old 03-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merc 575 Question...

I just recently bought a new (to me) Sonic 358 Diablo......the motors are Merc 575's. The boat will be here in a few days so I am doing a little more research before I take delievery. These 575's are the ones with no sight glass......are these the earlier models that have a dip stick and oil in the front and rear of the blower ....or do they have a sealed bearing in the back too. I have read that the later models with the bearing's in the rear had more problems. Can someone give me the scoop on this style 575.........another question I have is what oil and how much oil goes into each blower....... I have done many searches on the 575's but still havn't gotton all of the answers. Thanks in advance guys....................John
Attached Thumbnails Merc 575 Question...-dcp_3764.jpg   Merc 575 Question...-dcp_4028.jpg   Merc 575 Question...-2002sonic358dialbo.jpg  

Old 03-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new to you Sonic! Very nice boat. Yours may not have a dipstick in it. If you have a large hex nut on top then you will. There should be a 1/4" pipe plug in the top, or a dip stick, which is a vent and there should be one in the front of the case about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom, when you take the lower plug out the oil should be to the bottom of the threads just coming out. If you dont have a plug 1/4 of the way up then you can drain some by removing one of the lower bolts on the front cover. As far as the bearings in the rear of the blower they are sealed roller bearings, no oil. Now, the oil that Merc uses is high perf gear lube, the green stuff. Some people run mobil 1 or there specialty gear oil. As far as how much, its not much something like a few ounces. I'll try to find the amount if there is one.

John S.

Last edited by Pwrbt33; 03-28-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Registered

Pwrbt33.....first off thanks......so your saying there is no preventitive maintenance that I can do to the rear side bearing except a rebuild before something happens.........and only an oil changes to the front side.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yup!, I started to tell my customers after 2 to 3 seasons to let me pull them off and send them out to have them rebearinged and the rotors checked. Preventive maintenance.

John S.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Registered

I had the motors scanned and they show up with just under 200 hrs........I plan on trying to make this season then pulling the blowers off to be rebuilt for the winter........am i taking a risk or do you think this is ok. I also had leakdown test done on both motors......great results too.....most under 10% and two at 15%........
Old 03-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It sounds like they are in pretty good shape. I dont want to tell you to take them off and I dont want to tell you to leave them on either. Kinda feel them out, listen to them see if there is any noise coming from them. Also have the dealer look up the engine serial numbers to see if there was any warranty work done on the engines and or blowers. Some also had a problem with shafts and couplings in the snout.

John S.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:21 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Verify the torque of the bolts on the blower front and back, a friend with those had the rear plate lossen up (it was held by hallen headed bolts)and the blower seized.

Might be an isolated incident but checking those bolts is fairly easy.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Registered

The dealer who brokered the sale showed me a stack of papers of all the warrenty work done to these motors since new....I am waiting for my copies in the mail. I will take your advice and feel them out......and thanks again for your help
Old 03-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Registered

will do GLH...thanks for the heads up...... Keep the tips coming guys.......I will have plenty of time for tinkering through April and May.........
Old 03-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sure, if you need anything else just shoot me an email. Some engines have had to have the head gaskets done around 300 hours, then is when I suggested to have a valve job done and new springs installed for good protection.

John S.

Last edited by Pwrbt33; 03-28-2007 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Merc 575 Question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.