Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   futre of the sport..why we shoot ourselves in the foot.. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/154825-futre-sport-why-we-shoot-ourselves-foot.html)

THEJOKER 04-04-2007 04:21 PM

Monster Trucks bring in the fans because they have a gated , ticketed place for fans. I went this past winter and watched them in Atlanta , that was impressive!

T2x 04-04-2007 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Interceptor (Post 2081429)
T2x,
Isn't todays problem more with the multitude of classes and series ?
ed

Yes...... and stop there.

In 1980-82 you had 4 classes and 100+ boats at the Benihana Grand prix.... more at the World's. ...and, frankly, 4 classes was too many even back then.

Today you have 14 classes and 25 boats at many events. We have steadily moved in the wrong direction..... and stubbornly refused to reverse the course.

A great show or promotion is usually the creation of a single minded promoter with a VISION of what he or she sees as a successful, sports or entertainment vehicle. Rarely are the competitors or performers part of the management and planning. At the same time committees and consensus groups tend to create mediocre or bad plans and models (see Congress).... As much as Mike A. and I disagreed, you have to give him credit for grabbing hold of the sport by its ears and leading it somewhere. Now it is caught in a circular path without destination. Racers with only a year or two of experience are put into key planning positions, and common sense is buried in a confusing onslaught of conflicting, frequently sophomoric opinions.

Racing today has become one gigantic committee of well meaning, weekend warriors who speak in one deafening roar...... but accomplish very little. "Sponsors are too much trouble.". "Television is over rated...but by God if we ever get on it, they better show my 18 year old, 70 mph, river rocket!"
and "Leave it to to the rich guys"..... are all examples of the non answers and lack of coherent planning that is slowly killing the program.

Each year many racers spend valuable dollars to bounce around in an endless array of poorly publicized events.... designed to give every racer a class and every spectator a headache.

Offshore racing desperately needs:

This list is not overly long. It is not complicated. It can be accomplished in 12 to 24 months. It is doomed if everybody involved takes a "what about me?" attitude.

I've put this out there for the past few years........ and been criticised for it repeatedly... frequently by people who have since left the sport.... or have gone right back to the "Let's add another class." mentality. While I appreciate that the racers want a say....and like to party...and don't need to be Nascar..... The truth is that even their increasingly modest racing needs will eventually dry up completely if this mindset continues.

T2x

louietherigger 04-04-2007 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Interceptor (Post 2081592)
    Louie,
    Sorry about bringing up the drug money subject and I'm not trying to p.o. anyone. I just found it interesting that drug money probably have a impact on offshore racing during an era.
    In no way was I suggesting it has a impact now.

Regarding classes.
    My though is NASCAR draws a lot of fans because it's simple to watch. One class of vehicle tha tthey feel they can equate with and lots of soap opera drama with the drivers. Roadracing is the opposite and draws small crowds, at least here in the USA.
    I also know you need the many classes to support offshore racing as everyone does not have a NASCAR budget.
    ed

Nothin to appologize about I'm not PO'ed in the least, your one of us. I'm working on an OPA event on Long Island this year and it has expanded my horizons into the stratasphere. Nascar is racing, Offshore is racing thats were the similarities end. There tracks are permenent, Ours are forever changing in everyway, old towns that have developed don't need us new sites welcome us, but not with out a ton of blood sweat and tears. One day the water is rough and boats are flying as high as the copters next day its like a pond. The race last about an hour, the boats are there for days, thats where we must build our fan base and support. People are fickle, guys especially, 3 guys are standing in front of a team with 2 outrageous cats 4 tractor trailers, bikes, motorhomes,sports cars, when a girl walks by with her thong poking out of the top of her shorts and steals the show. $3 million in toys lost to a $10.00 undergarment and a 120 lb girl. We have to get and keep there attention, promote our events ferociously and sell our show. The Movie Stars, Drug Lords and Big Money sponsors come and go like the tide, the racers will allways be here, it's up to us to keep it going.
    Louie

phragle 04-04-2007 07:57 PM

when a girl walks by with her thong poking out of the top of her shorts and steals the show. $3 million in toys lost to a $10.00 undergarment and a 120 lb girl
    Louie.. if thats the problem..RG3 and Dee arent gonna be happy when there not allowed in the pits anymore hehehehehe :chimp:

Racegirl3 04-04-2007 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 2082273)
    Louie.. if thats the problem..RG3 and Dee arent gonna be happy when there not allowed in the pits anymore hehehehehe :chimp:

:p :drink: :D

bouyhunter 04-04-2007 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by louietherigger (Post 2082130)
    The race last about an hour, the boats are there for days, thats where we must build our fan base and support. People are fickle, guys especially, 3 guys are standing in front of a team with 2 outrageous cats 4 tractor trailers, bikes, motorhomes,sports cars, when a girl walks by with her thong poking out of the top of her shorts and steals the show. $3 million in toys lost to a $10.00 undergarment and a 120 lb girl.

Yes, the toys brought the guys out.
    What brought the girls out? The guys?
    And C'mon - the boat will still be there to gawk at in a few minutes - the thong wrapped in flesh is just walkin' by.
    And what attracts both when they learn more about what is going on here? It comes back to the hardware and race teams. That's what brings 'em back next time. And just the flatout excitement of the race.
    I don't know where I'm going with this, but can I get shirt too:D

Top Banana 04-04-2007 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 2082061)
    Yes...... and stop there.

In 1980-82 you had 4 classes and 100+ boats at the Benihana Grand prix.... more at the World's. ...and, frankly, 4 classes was too many even back then.

Today you have 14 classes and 25 boats at many events. We have steadily moved in the wrong direction..... and stubbornly refused to reverse the course.

Offshore racing desperately needs:
      T2x

KISS.....Keep it simple to start Rich.....I agree 110%