Hearing reports of Marine fuel going over $5.00/gallon---wow >

Hearing reports of Marine fuel going over $5.00/gallon---wow

Notices

Hearing reports of Marine fuel going over $5.00/gallon---wow

Old 04-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RonS

Well I guess since its so easy to make money owning a gas station you should probably buy one so that you get rich.
Then take all the money you made owning a gas station and buy out the local boat dealership or marine repair business and get even richer owning that because we all know that the marine repair shops are gouging us too, I mean come on that's another one of those easy businesses that everyone gets rich at.

Shame on all the evil people that go into business to make money, the world would be a better place if everyone went into business to just break even.
I suppose I should start an oil company too? Maybe an insurance company? Possibly a company to rebuild foreign nations that we have destroyed? Any other great ideas?

Market manipulation is different than trying to make a profit.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2112
I think most of know the volatility in our prices are mostly due to our national policy of not retrieving our own oil from our own reserves.
I would say it's due to speculation and trading on the open market. All you have to do is create a scare and the prices go through the roof, regardless of supply or demand.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BGIII
I suppose I should start an oil company too? Maybe an insurance company? Possibly a company to rebuild foreign nations that we have destroyed? Any other great ideas?

Market manipulation is different than trying to make a profit.
Market manipulation? So what you are saying is that all the gas station owners in every city get together and decide what day they will raise their prices and by how much. Oil is driven up and down by traders, and speculators, and just like corporate stocks, sometimes what drives it up and down does'nt make any sense but that's the world we live in.
But to say the gas station owners are a bunch of crooks and making the price of gas go up and down aint the case. Are they making money, yes they probably are, that does'nt mean they are all crooks.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
I would say it's due to speculation and trading on the open market. All you have to do is create a scare and the prices go through the roof, regardless of supply or demand.
Exactly!!! KIll all of the speculators and traders!
Old 04-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RonS
Market manipulation? So what you are saying is that all the gas station owners in every city get together and decide what day they will raise their prices and by how much.
Certainly not all. I think the independent station owner is at the mercy of what the big guys are doing, both on the up and down slope of pricing. He is a non-factor in market pricing and is doing like most of us, trying to make a living doing what he knows how to do. Nobody will ever convince me that the big stations are playing fair. Big companies don't play fair, it's been proven time and time again in this country. Market changes don't make it to the pump in 20 minutes and as far as I know, the Arabs and the traders aren't aware of the day spring break starts in Grand Rapids, MI, but gas jumped .35 that morning at 9 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Registered

I am an independent owner of a gas station. Most stations are. Just because they have a BP, Conoco, Phillips, or what ever other brand you want to through out there doesnt mean they are not independently owned. The price of gas changes once every 24 hours. If the price of crude on the market goes up on the market you can bet that the price of gas will change the next day. If you don't like buying gas then quit boating and buy an electric car. It is a business and people are going to make money but I can tell you gas profits at a station are not going to make a payment on anything.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Registered

Exxon Mobil profitted over 40 billion dollars last year but i guess they are not price gouging huh

Last edited by scarabsc; 04-02-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Fuel on the water in the Tampa area is $4 or more.
$3.39 for hi test...........$3.24 Reg.......In Pompano on tthe water.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarabsc
Exxon Mobil profitted over 40 billion dollars last year but i guess they are not price gouging huh
I agree. If you want to put the blame on oil compainies that is fine. But to put blame for high gas prices on station owners is not right. If I could make the same profit margin as exxon I wouldn't even have to open my store.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy OO
Just heard a newscast that fuel on the water could bust 5 bucks/gallon by summer,
Same report we heard last year. And the year before that, and the year before that...

Quick Reply: Hearing reports of Marine fuel going over $5.00/gallon---wow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.