Notices

Gas Turbines

Old 04-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My problem is to make it quiet for the Water Patrol on LOTO,90 db at an idle from 3 feet off of the back
Old 04-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Registered

I LOVE threads on OSO when I learn stuff !!!
Please keep this thread going......

Questions-
1. I think I read somewhere that John Aruda was working on a Bio-fuel source for his turbine applications, that would be cheaper and burn cleaner ?

2. What happens if the turbine gets wet?

3. How do you slow these things down ? Is there some kind of brake on the shaft ?

These are proably very dumb questions...sorry
Old 04-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kcsteve124
Man I'm glad I asked the question! The only way I would turbine power a boat would be from someone who is reliable and knows how to make them work for a boat. The reason I asked about reliabilty is the guys over at the Aqua Toy Store said you always had to mess with them.The boat they have was one of Turbine Marines first installs.
Much has been done to improve reliability since those days certainly by us at Firestorm Turbines and I am sure down at Turbine Marine as well. It is pretty standard to always be working on reliability issues and working to improve the state of the art...
Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Registered

My problem is to make it quiet for the Water Patrol on LOTO,90 db at an idle from 3 feet off of the back
Not sure where I said it already today... but at the risk of getting flamed for repeating myself....

We did a project for the military that had our T-53 down to 65db at 100 feet.. the technology is readily adaptable to marine use...
Old 04-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rockstrmkr
I LOVE threads on OSO when I learn stuff !!!
Please keep this thread going......

Questions-
1. I think I read somewhere that John Aruda was working on a Bio-fuel source for his turbine applications, that would be cheaper and burn cleaner ?

2. What happens if the turbine gets wet?

3. How do you slow these things down ? Is there some kind of brake on the shaft ?

These are proably very dumb questions...sorry
Not dumb questions at all...

Don't know if John has worked on a Bio-fuel source for his engines or not but we were contacted by the government a while back about that verry issue and managed to prove that it was at least a viable concept.

Fresh water wet is no big deal... we wash them down all the time... even when running. Salt water wet you better have a good bit of corrosion protection on the magnesium parts cause if not it looks a whole lot like the movie ALIENS when the badguy's blood drips on the steel floor... lots of holes...

This is a bad thing especially when you consider that the powder residue is radioactive. (Inlet housings of T-53 engines are very slightly radioactive.) So salt water exposure requires a fresh water washdown.

yes there is a brake system on the driveshaft. you can see in the picture below the brake at the top of the drop box. This allows the engine to run at idle, but prevents it from spooling up to 3000rpm when in neutral and making it impossible to get back into gear. These engines are what is called FREE TURBINE engines and the power section is free to rotate or stop independantly of the compressor section. This means that you can stop the powershaft completely, and still have the engine running.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nginepics8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...at/tp_t53a.jpg

Hope this helps

Last edited by rocketboat; 04-02-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Man I'm glad I asked the question! The only way I would turbine power a boat would be from someone who is reliable and knows how to make them work for a boat. The reason I asked about reliabilty is the guys over at the Aqua Toy Store said you always had to mess with them.The boat they have was one of Turbine Marines first installs.
KC ...not sure where your's going with that comment but I'll give it the benefit of doubt.

Actions speak louder than gossip. Aquatoy store just bought two more turbine boats so they must be pretty happy with Turbine Marine.

In fact Turbine Marine has 9 NEW Turbine boats on order right now.

Everything we learn on the race course concerning usability and reliability goes into the customers boat.

Marc
Old 04-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Registered

Rocketboat -
Thanks very much for the info...This stuff is really interesting !
All the best,
Hans
Old 04-03-2007, 07:19 AM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Gonna be quite the show watching someone trying to hold a decibel meter three feet off my transom !!
Attached Thumbnails Gas Turbines-1t1.jpg  
Old 04-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,709 Likes on 3,785 Posts

Originally Posted by KiloKat
Gonna be quite the show watching someone trying to hold a decibel meter three feet off my transom !!
maybe a marshmellow then!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

you could hang a rack of ribs off the wing on the bud select..after the race LUNCH!!

Quick Reply: Gas Turbines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.