Notices

Gas Turbines

Old 04-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha... yeah that might be a bit much for the average marina... don't suppose you have a bunch of blowboats in there too eh? I can just imagine... ah well... could always put the sound scilencing system on it... Whisper mode engage!
Old 04-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rockstrmkr
I LOVE threads on OSO when I learn stuff !!!
Please keep this thread going......

Questions-
1. I think I read somewhere that John Aruda was working on a Bio-fuel source for his turbine applications, that would be cheaper and burn cleaner ?

2. What happens if the turbine gets wet?

3. How do you slow these things down ? Is there some kind of brake on the shaft ?

These are proably very dumb questions...sorry
Here is a custom made bell housing fitted with a rotor and caliper. This stops the output shaft of the turbine so you can shift it in and out of forward and reverse.
It is also shown with the SCS crashbox.

Turbines are far superior in design and principal then any
gas piston counterpart.
Those that dont agree do not understand physics.

Gerry
Attached Thumbnails Gas Turbines-dscn0005.jpg  
Old 04-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Here is a pair of intakes. Note the plastic fitting this is what
feeds the freshwater for the washdown.
Attached Thumbnails Gas Turbines-dscn0006.jpg  
Old 04-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KiloKat
Ahh comeon Marc - be nice.

Ha....not like you have to worry about it...your always in front of us!!

The new Mystic looks .......u fn believable.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Registered

"We run high pressure fresh water injection for saltwater races in the event of us getting a hosedown or taking a wave."

How does that work ?

Thanks,
Hans
Old 04-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rockstrmkr
"We run high pressure fresh water injection for saltwater races in the event of us getting a hosedown or taking a wave."

How does that work ?

Thanks,
Hans
You can inject water (Fresh, clean variety) into the intake of the engine in rather large quantities while the engine is running, and in fact in high heat environments it will actually increase your HP although by rights it should be a water Alchohol mixture to do it right. We have an inlet wash ring incorporated into the air inlet for the engine as I would assume Turbine Marine does as well for their engines. Just a tube with holes of a very precise size in order to ensure a misting of the liquid as it enters the inlet airstream.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Registered

Okay that his one person opinion at the Toy Store and KiloKat you know how they are at LOTO. Water Patrol can be a pain in the butt when it comes to exhaust you have had your experiences with them. Heres another question: at what point does a turbine become less reliable if you start raising the HP say up to 2500hp?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kcsteve124
Okay that his one person opinion at the Toy Store and KiloKat you know how they are at LOTO. Water Patrol can be a pain in the butt when it comes to exhaust you have had your experiences with them. Heres another question: at what point does a turbine become less reliable if you start raising the HP say up to 2500hp?
If you are trying to bump a T-53 up to 2500hp you are going to run into some reliability issues...lol

If you switch to a T-55 engine... no issues at all. The base model T-55 is 2400hp in an aircraft so 2500hp is no problem for it at all. In fact the TBO (Time between Overhaul) on the T-55 was raise to 4500hours just a year or so ago because of their continued reliability. That being said you can beat the $hi^ out of anything if you really try hard enough. Right?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 20 Posts

turbines are cool for lots of reasons but that noise issue HAS to be addressed if you ever want to see them in anything other than a "exibition" type setting....... I was at our ramp a couple of yrs ago and a guy had a turbine boat and I have seen the Unlimiteds run.......personally I thought this guys boat was cool, but trust me there were LOTS of people around who didnt (park like setting with restaraunts etc).......I couldnt imagine having a place on the water and having him as my nextdoor nieghbour........we got enough cops and insurance companys sniffing around our sport........keep going full speed on the noise thing.....that will be the turbines downfall.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Registered

awesome thread!

Do you envision gas turbines prices becoming more reasonable with further marine refinements?

As well, is it true that they burn fuel at the same rate at idle as they do running high speed?

Quick Reply: Gas Turbines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.