Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   To Boat or not to Boat that is the ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/155105-boat-not-boat.html)

Panther 04-03-2007 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Michael1 (Post 2080103)
Once boating is in your blood, it is never going away. You won't be really happy unless you are out on the water.

That's a fact!

I found out a couple months ago that my wife is pregnant so I'll find out what it's like in the next 6 months. I've already mentioned the idea of selling to my wife and she said absolutely not... :evilb: :cool:

Life always throws a curve ball every now and then. It's day by day for me.

The fuel budget is a good idea, I started that last year. At first things were tight but now that I haven't used the boat all winter the account is nice and fat!

My new motto is; Lead, follow or get the f'uk out of the way! :drink:

cuda 04-03-2007 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 2079742)
You should buy an electric car and sell anything you own that has a infernal compustuion engine in it. Oh ya join the Democratic party, move in next to Al Gore and hold on to your photo albums of days past

Ouch! That was harsh!:D :drink:

cuda 04-03-2007 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 2079760)

I got the Donzi for much the same reason......

Jon

Tell the truth. You got the Donzi because you will have a child in college before that tub ever sees the water again.:D

cuda 04-03-2007 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Downsizing can be fun too. We mostly run the lakes and river since we moved, but I still have the Formula on Ready One cleared for take off if needed. I took it out once all last year.:(

But, here we are two weeks ago in our downsized boat. :)

Stormrider 04-03-2007 01:30 PM

if you were to downsize, the 28saber in the classifieds would be a smart move. at least its a big 28. it won't be so fast, but w/ the kids you probably shouldn't be running 80+ anyways... and with the camper top, its a winner as a weekender.

AIR TIME 04-03-2007 02:01 PM

keep the boat thats what is keeping me going. 2002 broke it in the apba cape cod race and again in a pokerrun so went out twice in 02, took 03 off cause of wife, got hurt in 04 chased comp for 8mons,0 rides, 05 still out having more operations went out once thats it. 06 went out for 5 test runs for a total 3hrs. and now someone stole my stuff march 5drive,carb steering ect. and with some help from hear I hope to get out this summer, and nexted week find out about my hope to be last operation on my knee. So keep the boat or down size. I could never sell mine had it since 90.I hope to move up after I am back to work for a while if we can afford it other wise keeping mine so if you add up my hours since 02 I HAVE ABOUT 8 HOURS TIME:eek: :( in the good days it was more like 50 to 75 hours a season.to me its worth one hour a year just the feeling of the power you have in your hand, I been in my buddys superboat alot but not the same. so stay in boating I can't wait till get my family out for a over night trip its been a while:(

BGIII 04-03-2007 03:51 PM

Only you and your wife can decide Don. My guess is downsizing will net you nothing but headaches and an ass beating ride. You know exactly what you have right now and buying something different will be like starting all over again. You will end up with a smaller boat for the same money. I still think in/out service is the best thing going. Costs about the same as the insurance on a tow vehicle plus you don't need the vehicle and you eliminate all the hassles with towing. You just drive the car to the marina with the wife and kids and go boating. I've been driving good MPG beaters for about 6 years now. Probably saved myself over 50 grand in fuel, insurance, payments and such in that time.

Dean Ferry 04-03-2007 04:57 PM

Boating is a stress relivever for me, and I can understand your concern about the fuel $$, BUT it is alot less expensive than the shrink visits $$! Keep the Sonic, it's paid for, and you'll miss it when it's gone.
Dean

dockrocker 04-03-2007 05:58 PM

If/when the PQ sells, I'm thinking long and hard about picking up an older cruiser, maybe a Chris Craft. Just something to putz with and take short trips. More room for the kids to stretch out and it's still on the water.

Of course, when it's nice out I think about firing up twin BBC's... :)

Expensive Date 04-03-2007 06:28 PM

If you can afford to keep it do so just use it less.Last summer was my first full summer with a boat took the kids out a lot though mostly my 10 year old triplets (two boys one girl) had a great summer and I think its cheaper to fill the boat up than go to an amusment park.If you sell you may not be able to get another one for a while.Good Luck.