Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Kaama Surface Drives (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/155282-kaama-surface-drives.html)

damdonzi 04-06-2007 08:52 AM

I saw one last Fall tied up at the town docks in Portsmouth NH. Blue with the name BIG STRONG GIRL down the sides. Looked to be in pretty good shape.

jradddd 05-16-2007 05:34 PM

drives are great. if a guy has some mechanical ability he can build the tools necessary for the project. i made a stand for them and a puller plate for disassembly. bearings and seals are easy to get ahold of and casale engineering in california has three different gear sets they stock, and if they dont have them on hand they will make them for you, great guys to work with and get along with...........

Swamplizard 05-16-2007 06:55 PM

only problemis the props can be spendy and hard to find

cuda 05-16-2007 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Swamplizard (Post 2130225)
only problemis the props can be spendy and hard to find

You can buy an adapter, and run big hub props on them, but they don't exactly give those props away either.

TeamSaris 05-16-2007 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by otis311 (Post 2083824)
Johnny, Ive got a few real good pics of that boat from a few years ago. Nose was A LITTLE HIGH in the air that day. You guys did a hell of a job to save that boat that day

hehe :D
Im going to take some pics of her tomarow. Almost time for the water

MikeyFIN 06-03-2007 02:44 AM

Hey Cuda, while wrenching on another boat the guy in the next boat told as a sidenote that he knows a Formula 311(?) with Surface drives right here while he asked about my opinion of surface drives... :-)
Asked immidiately what kind and he started fiddling with Kmaa or something and I just had to Ask him KAAMA? and he got Lit instantly..as did the rest on the dock... boat in question is a 86 or a 85. I have to go and take a look at it as it will be the First Boat Kaama In Europe I know about.

Also I used to work as a mold maker on NC-machining centers at a prototype company that also has high temp mold injection presses, thought about that boot problem (of yours and others) if it ainīt solved I could go and ask them of a price quote, I know they need some work.

cuda 06-03-2007 10:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN (Post 2148788)
Hey Cuda, while wrenching on another boat the guy in the next boat told as a sidenote that he knows a Formula 311(?) with Surface drives right here while he asked about my opinion of surface drives... :-)
Asked immidiately what kind and he started fiddling with Kmaa or something and I just had to Ask him KAAMA? and he got Lit instantly..as did the rest on the dock... boat in question is a 86 or a 85. I have to go and take a look at it as it will be the First Boat Kaama In Europe I know about.

Also I used to work as a mold maker on NC-machining centers at a prototype company that also has high temp mold injection presses, thought about that boot problem (of yours and others) if it ainīt solved I could go and ask them of a price quote, I know they need some work.

Mine is an 86. The guy that sold it to me had two new boots that hadn't been installed. I installed one, then another guy from Oso asked me if I'd sell him my other one, so I figured I'd sell it to him for what it would cost for another, now they aren't making them anymore.:( I don't need another one yet, but it would be nice to have a spare. I think they are the same boot that another surface drive uses, and they can't get them either. If they were the same diameter on both ends, I'd get some flexible thick hose to use, but it's about ten inches in diameter on one end, and eight on the other.:(

X-Rated30 06-03-2007 04:29 PM

I have to go and take a look at it as it will be the First Boat Kaama In Europe I know about.

I shipped one to Austria in '04. It was a 1984 Scarab S-Type with Kaama drives.:cool:

SLICKSTEVE 06-18-2007 07:21 PM

HEY THERE, DID YOU EVER FIND SOMEONE TO MAKE THE BOOTS FOR THE KAAMA?? SLICKSTEVE IN MICHIGAN

MikeyFIN 08-24-2007 05:14 AM

the problem was that they donīt do out of rubber that can handle oil...yet.

Iīll might get them get interested if the order is for a large quantity not otherwise as they do projects for Nokia etc also.