Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Preventing Boat/Trailer/Parts Theft While on the Road (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/155319-preventing-boat-trailer-parts-theft-while-road.html)

AIR TIME 04-06-2007 05:20 AM

THE name of my new alarm which you can add up to 4 motion dec's to is called THE REPORTER from radio shack it will give you a span of 1200ft. I can here it in other rooms when testing it. I have 1 in the boat and others pointing at it so if the wind blows the cover it won't set it off:rolleyes: :D . also thought of a rubber coated chain going from loops on the transom to between the prop up to the other side, have amaster lock on each loop plus stern lock this way if they go to pull the pins on the gimbil and take the drive off , they can't. now I have to think about a device for ex steering, and a hidden lock for engine cover so they can't steel my carb again. the best would be to have a alarm hard wire to the cops. which I will before my boat will be back together so if I am away they will come maybe:rolleyes: also priced out barb wire looking for razor wire. it going to look like a prison by the time I get through for the azz behind me:mad: art

Tom A. 04-06-2007 07:08 AM

Basics I use:
Remove props
Drive locks
Lock trailer hitch to trailer
Wheel boot on trailer (bought one like the parking police have)
Lock and Alarm truck
Palm some money to person working the front desk on the overnight and have them let you park near the main entrance.

Sydwayz 04-06-2007 07:24 AM

Make sure you have your trailer hitch DRAWBAR locked to the receiver on your truck. No sense in locking the coupler down if they can pull a hitch pin and take the whole drawbar.

gsmith9898 04-06-2007 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Prater (Post 2083628)
Also make sure there is adequate parking at the hotel you plan to stay at. I had to park at a Hooters a few blocks from my pre-booked hotel because I could not even fit in the parking lot. The Hooters manager was very nice about it and at least had me park under a 24 hour camera in case something did happen.

Sounds like a good excuse for explaing to your wife why the boat and truck were at hooters all night.:eek: :evilb:

sy goldberg 04-06-2007 08:01 AM

boat theft prevention

Sternlock will soon have an affordable gps tracking device for boats.I brought one to the ACE AMERICAN INSURANCE COMPANY to have their company surveyor test it and to obtain their endorsement.STERNLOCK website is WWW.MARINESECURITIES.COM.

TSPM 04-06-2007 08:10 AM

It is more than theft.......Two people I know who towed there own boats from long distances were hit...one in the rear at a toll plaza paying the toll the (person was on the cell not paying attention...the other was a drunk driver with zero insurance....the guy was a drifter and had only what was in his car. The insurance company paid nothing because the driver with the boat was not insured for transport.

Do yourself a favor call Jeff Murray 909-*********.

He is the best and hauls for all the big dealers as well.......we use him and never had anything but a perfect delivery with a big smile and some wicked Chinese food!

docmanrich37 04-06-2007 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ACTIVESHACK (Post 2083651)
I stopped in South Carolina last night on the way back to Virginia with my new rig. We pulled into one town and didn't like the looks of things. I fueled up and drove another 45 mins. and stopped where things looked OK. Parked right in front of the office at a Hampton Inn and requeated a room in front where i could see the boat. Took this pic. from my room door. Like 10x said if you stop and it doesn't look cool get fuel and drive till your comfortable. My baby is home in the driveway tonight safe and sound. :D

If they knew your wife they wouldn't of even think about touching your rig or boat.:D Didn't know they had windows in the Cafe Risque.:evilb: :evilb:

bgchuby01 04-06-2007 11:04 AM

when ever I stop in a hotel I just park at the front door even if it is a fire lane. if the boat is visable to the front desk most people will not touch it. I have never had that problem

Zudnic 04-06-2007 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Still think I have the best German made security you can get. Stopping at a rest area Dakota badlands middle of nowhere at 3am. The one on the left saved my Excursion, she broke out the side rear vent window, the one on the right saved me!!!!

IDRPSTF 04-06-2007 06:46 PM

I tow with 2 Rotties and a Glock. All three have been used as theft deterent. Wife drives from CA to AZ and back every weekend... 3 Rotties in her truck, they have saved her at a gas stop. Spend enough time on the road and you meet everyone!