Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Purchasing Seadoo,,Yea I know (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/15546-purchasing-seadoo-yea-i-know.html)

Towel Boy 12-26-2001 09:49 PM

sunsation, where do you normally boat?
Norman might be a little far or do you go to Va?

Milord 12-27-2001 08:51 AM

I have never raced and never owned a PWC. Most of my friends have though and I've been riding since 1992. Most of them were Seadoo's and every one of those blew motors within the first 2 season's. Some of them blew them in the first month of riding, under 25 hours on them. There have been a few Yamaha's in the group and they seem to be the most reliable, no blown engines to date. The Seadoo XP is a fun machine to ride. It was fun back when it only had 85hp, at 110hp it was more fun and the 130hp was awesome. I really like the Seadoo GSX Limited as well. The 1200cc Yamaha's are great too. I agree that they will all break someday it just seems the Yamaha's stay together better. My .02.

GRH 12-27-2001 09:02 AM

I've owned almost every top of the line SeaDoo 3-seater made since '94... Every 2 yrs I upgrade...Never had a problem with any one of them... maybe I'm just lucky... but my kids and thier friends are on them all the time... & they are anything but easy on toys... if it can be broke... thsy can brake it... Go with Sea-Doo... my .02... ;)

Advantage_Rob 12-27-2001 10:38 AM

I've had 3 sea-doo xp's in the past a 92xp then a 93 which I blew up once when it was about a month old, the dealer fixed it, and was perfect afterwards for 3 seasons till I sold it. Then I got a 96 or 97 xp, it was fine too other than I ripped the motor out of the hull while jumping huge cruiser wakes in one of the channels. On my 93 I snapped the steering neck off and ended up in the water with the handlebars in hand and the ski 50 feet away, Really no problems mechanically ever other than the one motor which exploded a piston, and it was perfect after they fixed it under warranty, all my problems were related to me being too crazy on it. I have two kawasaki stand up's now that just wont die, one blew up a few years back so I built that up, and if the other one ever dies I'll build it too. I paid $500 for both of the Stand-ups. I'd like to get another XP an old tired one that needs pistons, rings and honeing, and bearings would make a nice cheap too fix project.

US1 Fountain 12-27-2001 10:46 AM

Ain't that the chits. Over half of the fastest things on most inland waters are PWC.
Or should that be stated as there are way to many slow boats? ;)

Advantage_Rob 12-27-2001 03:44 PM

www.swiftoceanics.com
Check out this 275lb aluminum cat hull jet ski, 175hp 1100cc 4cyl street bike motor, 90+mph, loks like fun, but it's $13,000 and I've never heard or seen anything about them other than this web site someone showed me about a year ago, but I'd love to take one for a spin some time, I know I'd have to get one if I rode one. It's just pure stupidity to go that fast on a jet-ski and that's got my name all over it.

Hey the link works, thats wierd?

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: advantage_ROB ]

Sunsation 32 12-27-2001 10:05 PM

Towel Boy, I boat on Lake Hartwell. We sometimes go to Lake Murray and would like to visit Norman. Ive been on Smith Mtn. Lake one time and would like to go back.

olysan 12-28-2001 08:55 AM

Who is SBT? Do they have a web site? How can I get more info on this $899 engine?

Mike

BAJA WILL 12-28-2001 09:10 AM

Sunsation 32, I live on SML right now. Let me know when you come up. I got a private beach w/ beer on tap. :D
I also have been to lake murray, pretty lake Great people, the Wiggins, Curt, Brad, Jan,..... all a blast to hang with. :D

Sydwayz 12-28-2001 10:15 AM

http://www.sbtontheweb.com
Short Block Technologies.
1401 N Myrtle Ave.
Clearwater FL, 33755
727-443-0373

I have bought some motors from them. Very nice people to work with, however, I am unsure of their quality. I bought a Polaris 1050 motor from them, and it blew up because someone at a lousy dealer sabotaged my oil pump delivery. This blow up was not the fault of SBT. I had a new SBT motor installed after the court settlement, and sold the ski immediately afterward. I was later told that motor blew up too; not sure of the hours on it. They do come with a short limited warranty.

Brian