Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Purchasing Seadoo,,Yea I know (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/15546-purchasing-seadoo-yea-i-know.html)

Ted G 12-28-2001 05:21 PM

Most of the SBT stories I have heard have been good as long as the engine is stock. If you are going to build it up I would have a motor custom made, but the SBT motors seem to do well when left stock.

RON 12-28-2001 10:21 PM

I have a 1997 Sea-Doo Speedster ,twin Engine Jet Boat, to take out when i don't want to drag the Cat to the River, it has been a great little boat!
Just make sure you change the jet pump oil every year, I learned that the hard way! :eek:

Sunsation 32 12-29-2001 09:18 PM

Hey 27 Fountain, Do you know Tim Ayers?

diligaf 12-31-2001 11:52 AM

Should be called SEA-DON'TS, everyone I know blows up sea-doo's. certain year motors were mounted on too much of an angle and were constantly sucking water throught the intake and blowing motors. The newer ones like 99 and up are supposedly fixed. I personally have a 99 kawi ultra 150, it does 68 on radar and has been pretty reliable. 97 yamaha gp's had weak hulls and 98's and 99/s were about the best. The last model year yamaha's had power valve problems and breakage's and lots of blown motors... They are making an upgraded power valve to correct the problem but you cant be sure if the used one you purchase will be fixed. Sea-doo's make a lot of HP using a 2 cylinder motor, the kawi's and yami's have 3 cyliders making the same HP, less wear and tear and overall abuse on the yamaha's and kawasaki's. pwctoday.com and jetski.com have message boards for all brands and I did a lot of research before I bought and there were just toooo many problems with the sea-doo's... good luck..

INDY27 12-31-2001 05:59 PM

27Fountain, I currently own a GTX and XP with no problems,owned about nine since 93 mostly Sea Doo and they have all been almost trouble free! Also when it comes to resell you wont have any problems!

Sunsation 32 12-31-2001 11:27 PM

Buy a Sea Doo and run Red Line Synthetic oil or Sea Doo oil. When you get it take the oil injector off and pre-mix your fuel. You wont have a problem. When you start doing mod's any of them will blow up if not done right. Quest engineering is in my back yard and they do research and developement for Sea Doo and they also build NOVI carbs. They test everything to see how they compare to the Sea Doo's. Ive seen all models engines on the dyno, how they are built and I wouldn't own anything but a Sea Doo. Also, a stock Kawasaki Ultra 150 will not do 68 on radar, maybe on its speedo. Ive seen two radared new and with 30 plus hours and the best radar speed was 64.8 at 700ft. elevation in 59 degree weather.

BAJA WILL 01-01-2002 05:04 PM

Sunsation32,

Yea I think I am going to go with a new /late model XP. Also I think I have heard of the name Tim Ayers, but cannot place it. I feel like I have meet everyone on SML, but maybe not.

Will :rolleyes:

Ted G 01-01-2002 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Sunsation 32:
<STRONG>Ive seen two radared new and with 30 plus hours and the best radar speed was 64.8 at 700ft. elevation in 59 degree weather.</STRONG>
BRRRRRRRRRRR :D

fstboater 01-01-2002 09:41 PM

I have a Kaw Ultra 150 99mod no problems 66.4 on gps way to fast in the ruff stuff. Big gas tank lots of fun holds almost 20 gal of gas looses 1 or 2 mph when full. :rolleyes:

diligaf 01-02-2002 09:31 AM

My 99 ultra has an ADA head, solas prop, shredmaster ride plate and aftermarket sponsons. Stock it did 65 with the mods it now does 68 ( radar ) It will blow away most any BBC, in anything less than a light chop of course. I personally would try and find a 98 yamaha GPR 1200, almost as fast and better in the rough stuff...