Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   need help!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/155461-need-help.html)

disaster at sea! 04-09-2007 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 2086113)
The 27 is more of a 25 foot boat because of the extended beak in front and the molded swim platform. Fountain stoped making the 27, but there are still some left over in inventory.

I would go with the 27 Fountain because of build quality, but I am biased against west coast boats. I have read good reviews on the Howard Bullet, but mostly through Hot Boat who is reaaaaaally biased towards their west coast boats.

thanks tex,i was leaning towards the fountain myself,the one thing these three have in common is the way the rear sits low.(i don't know if thats a good thing or not but i just like the look)whats your take on the scarab?

disaster at sea! 04-09-2007 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain (Post 2087540)
A 27 Fountain will be fine as a starter boat. We ain't talking no 100mph race machine here.

Why loose money buying a smaller boat, only to step up later in the summer?

ill give you two reasons. one,budget and two space.How much bigger do you think? and is there anyway to upgrade power on the 27

US1 Fountain 04-09-2007 09:23 PM

I was implying the 27 is fine as a 1st boat and no need to buy a smaller boat only to end up with a 27 later. A 29 Fountain would be a better choice over the 27 if space and budget is not a problem. It's still a single engine boat and has more room in both cockpit and cabin. The tight cockpit in the 27 does get cramped with 2 couples.

My 27 had a blower motor and would run 83mph. W/O blower it was a 70mph boat. Great boat!
For a 1st boat, I'd stick with stock merc power though. Then repower later after you have some time in it.

disaster at sea! 04-09-2007 09:38 PM

thanks US1,i think i can swing the 29 for sure in the budget section not too sure on space. how are the 29 s ? I've seen a lot of 29 s for sale but not too many 27s.another thing i noticed some 29s come with dual motor are those any faster?

thanks again

US1 Fountain 04-09-2007 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by disaster at sea! (Post 2087585)
thanks US1,i think i can swing the 29 for sure in the budget section not too sure on space. how are the 29 s ? I've seen a lot of 29 s for sale but not too many 27s.another thing i noticed some 29s come with dual motor are those any faster?

thanks again

FeverMike on here had a 29 with a single HP500. He has said his 29 was faster than the same powered 27 due to the extra hull lenght. Also a smoother ride. I seen where it was for sale. If storage space would work, I'd look more towards the 29 just because of the cockpit size alone. Can't beat a single engine in this size range. Less expense, less work and easier to operate. I won't say to stay clear of a twin boat as a first boat, don't know your abilites.
The twin 29's sit real low, as low as my 32 in back. I like the looks myself. Can't go wrong with a 27 if that fits the bill better.
You'll get better answers between the 27 and 29 in the Fountain forum.

TexomaPowerboater 04-09-2007 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by disaster at sea! (Post 2087548)
thanks tex,i was leaning towards the fountain myself,the one thing these three have in common is the way the rear sits low.(i don't know if thats a good thing or not but i just like the look)whats your take on the scarab?

Don't really know much about the scarab other than what has been posted here. Do a search you should find something. In my opinion I don't think that scarabs hold their resale very good. Being that I am not a boat builder or a mechanic I tend to look at market prices and how well a boat holds it value. Look at a new boat, then an older one, say ten years. See how far the price drops. There is usually a good reason why some boats cost more than others. Also take a look at how long the boat sits on the market. It will be alot easier on your long-term finances if you buy a boat that will only drop $5-10,000 or so from the purchase price. Now if your buying a new boat - forget about it.

26 Eagle V 04-10-2007 10:46 AM

Have you considered an Eliminator?

I have a 05 26' Eagle with 496 mag ho power & is equiped to handle big power. The boat is fast & very stable. LOADED with options. Let me & I can post or forward Pics. Good luck in your quest.

Shore Thing 04-10-2007 10:53 AM

give us an approximate budget and the type of boating you will be doing (i.e. family, overnighting, day cruising, rough water, calm water, etc.)

Without that info, no one here can truly help you out. You're just gonna end up with a list of everyone elses preferences, not you're own.

czy40p 04-10-2007 11:07 AM

I would compare beam widths; it is amazing how just a few inches can make a big difference. When you get close to buying a boat get a survey done by a reputable guy. Also I like to price insurance first on all my toys.

scarabsc 04-10-2007 03:10 PM

I have 26 scarab and love it, I would also love to have a fountain but they are a whole lot more expensive, It all depends on what you are looking for (speed, cabin room, cockpit room etc) and what your budget is as to what the best boat for you needs will be. My advice would be to test all three of them out and see what kind of deal you can get on one beings its your first boat you dont want to get in over your head on a sport you have just started to take interest in.