Notices

Lip-ship performance

Old 04-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky Strike Jr
The boats being dialed in is just another part of it. Most Lip-Ship boats run a few mph faster than the others out there. Also, this doesn't apply in most cases but since Phil rigged our boat he did certain things certain ways that can only come with years of experience. Phil is #1!
I'm not sure I believe the speed thing....I think it can go either way. Phil is known for putting bigger power in his boats, which ultimately pulls big numbers. However, I know both Tres and Peter have set up boats that have been faster than some comparable (engine/drive) Lip-Ship boats. LS, I'm sure he put some special touches on your boat, as he has had a long history with it, but my question was more or less aimed at new boats.......what do Phil's boats have that you can't get by going with another dealer? If you had 2 new Top Guns w/ identical power, one is a Lip-Ship edition and the other is dealer/factory boat (both of which are rigged at Cigarette), other than a few small cosmetic details, how would the boats differ? I'm just trying to get a feel for actual differences vs. the additional $ for a Lip-Ship Edition boat.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 157 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jawbreakerkid
I'm not sure I believe the speed thing....I think it can go either way. Phil is known for putting bigger power in his boats, which ultimately pulls big numbers. However, I know both Tres and Peter have set up boats that have been faster than some comparable (engine/drive) Lip-Ship boats. LS, I'm sure he put some special touches on your boat, as he has had a long history with it, but my question was more or less aimed at new boats.......what do Phil's boats have that you can't get by going with another dealer? If you had 2 new Top Guns w/ identical power, one is a Lip-Ship edition and the other is dealer/factory boat (both of which are rigged at Cigarette), other than a few small cosmetic details, how would the boats differ? I'm just trying to get a feel for actual differences vs. the additional $ for a Lip-Ship Edition boat.
Gotcha, I didn't realize you were talking about new boats. PM203 and DK pretty much said it all. However, take a look at Phil's 2007 Top Gun he built. Not talking about speed but he has a 12" setback on the drives vs standard ITS with 7 or 8, nicer cabin, and nice helms (including a digital speedo on the port side).

http://www.lipship.com/preowned/0409...007topgun.html
Old 04-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

And Phil will alter X dimensions ,based upon his customer needs as well as build lighter layups. When you are 10 minutes from the factory, you have alot more flexibility in how the build goes.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 3,018 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by jawbreakerkid
Quick question.....other than a little bit of extra paint here and there and some "Lip-Ship Edition" embroidery work, what are the real differences in the boat as compared to other Cigarettes?
I can answer that in three words.....Attention to detail.......

It's like asking what the difference between a 911 turbo and a 911 Turbo Gemballa is....Or walking into the Ferrari factory in Modena Italy and saying, "hey, I'm going to buy a new Enzo, but I'm going to have my buddies at Pininfarina be there for every step of the build process and add every little nick nack and custom touch they think should be there to custom taylor the car to my needs". That is exactly what Phil does. He sits down with his clients and custom builds an already custom built boat to meet every customers individual needs.

If you walk into Phils shop and order a Lip-Ship boat he is there at the factory through the whole build. He puts special features in, (such as with the purple 42x the extra compartments for tools, props, etc), he does things like put the extra extensions on the ITS's. He dials in every boat he delivers and gets the best speed out of it. Look at the blue 42X and the hundreds of little "1"s in the paint. Or his latest 39 with the ghost
"Cigarette" and "lip-ship Edition" down the side. Every Lip-Ship edition boat is custom taylored and built for that indavidual owner. You may own a Lip-ship boat, but you can be assured it was custom built to meet it's original owners needs and expectations.

You take a stock ordered 39 and put it next to a Lip-Ship 39 people will notice the Lip-Ship is a nicer boat every time. It's like I said above, you take a stock 911 or a Gemballa 911 and compare the two. Or a stock Mercedes compared to a Brabus Mercedes.... etc. etc.

Like I said, it's attention to detail, theres so many little things that he does to his boats it's hard to point all the minute details out.

Phils boats are used and seen in more public relations coverage than any other dealership (including the factory). His boats have graced the covers of PBM, HotBoat, H2O, and other magazines as well as calenders. They are used in Cigarette advertisements as well as other product advertisements for tv and print.

Its a fact his boats are faster than comparable Cigs set up with equal power. He knows how to dial in and lay up a Cigarette. Stock boats aren't "hands on" dialed in by an individual with mulitple world champions and years of experience under his belt.

Not to mention you'll never be treated better by a "salesman" in the industry. He goes way above and beyond to make sure every detail is met for a client. He's honest, fair, and to the point, with out any sort of run-around at all. He deals with kings, princes, actors, singers, professional atheletes and still has the time to call me (a nobody) to see how things are going. He is a true benifit to not only Cigarette but to the boating industry as a whole. He should f*ckin' hold classes on how to treat a customer!

I believe the saying in my signature line rings true.

He's been making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990. If you ever have the pleasure to purchase a boat from him, you won't have to ask such a question.

Last edited by thisistank; 04-22-2007 at 01:18 AM.