Notices

Towing overwidth

Old 04-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Towing overwidth

I'm planning a trip to Loto in June from Northern cal. Should I go through the hassle of pulling overwidth permits for each state or risk it? I did get nailed in Cal. so now have a overwidth permit for California. Thanks for any imput. Doug
Old 04-09-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing with running permits is you cannot run at night and have to hit all weigh scales.
I have run many times without permits and have been lucky.
I am not much help here but to say if you don't like driving at night, then run permits. It takes a while to get them too, doesn't it? You may not have enough time to get them. That has been my issue in the past, just not able to get them when I need to get haulin' down the road.

Basically, what I am saying is it's a 50/50 shot.

My .02

Thanx

Last edited by GeoGraphics; 04-09-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Go Big or Go Home
Platinum Member

How far over width? If you are going to get permits your bet bet would be to hire a permitting company?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Registered

Educate me, what is the overwidth point ? how did you get caught? My understanding from when I was buying dual axil flat trailer the wheels can't be wider apart than 8.5 feet. Now my boats width is 9.5 feetish, so the trailer wheels width less or at the legal limit I think, so probably no one would notice is what I was told, so far so good.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Cal. permit in about 3 days, which is amazing considering this is the land of laws. Overwidth is overwidth, but to answer the question of how much. Legal is 102" and I'm at just under 10'. A foot and a half is pretty obvious if a trooper gets behind me. That's what a trooper told me as I was being written up. A 35 foot cat on a 44' trailer can attract a lot of attention was the other comment that the trooper made. I should have stuck to 20' boats, life was much simpler and cheaper. Thanks Doug
Old 04-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Anything over 102" is overwidth. I run signs and permits during the day, and remove the signs to run at night. I have not stopped at any scale house. I have been extremely lucky not to get stopped yet, but I am sure it is a matter of time It is totally your call to permit and follow the rules or not.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Emerald Coast of Florida
Gold Member

I got stopped last summer in Vegas and asked for my permit. I was under the width and weight. They measured the width and weighed the trailer to make sure I wasn't over the max tow weight for the truck. Trailer/boat came in at 8'3" and weighed 12,300#. They hassled me about being over weight for the truck until I showed that the F350 had a 15k# tow weight. NV is cracking down on the guys towing 7000# boats with S10's...
Old 04-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Registered

I would do what warparty says, banner and flags during the day and remove at night.

To me, your boat is not an issue under 10 ft. I tow 12' on a 50' trailer and tow mostly without a permit. On long trips I get the permits.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:59 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

comdata thgeyw ill do the permits for you. tell them private carrier, and you dont have to stop a wiegh stations, just keep rolling. you will have to stop at night. but i have gotten by driving at night and mine is 10'6"
Old 04-10-2007, 02:01 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Panic Button
I got stopped last summer in Vegas and asked for my permit. I was under the width and weight. They measured the width and weighed the trailer to make sure I wasn't over the max tow weight for the truck. Trailer/boat came in at 8'3" and weighed 12,300#. They hassled me about being over weight for the truck until I showed that the F350 had a 15k# tow weight. NV is cracking down on the guys towing 7000# boats with S10's...
new mexico is a pain in the arse too. they stopped me ran everything held me for 2 hours, found out i was legal. then told me i could nt move my boat till day light

Quick Reply: Towing overwidth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.