Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Prelubers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/155613-prelubers.html)

deboatmon 04-10-2007 10:47 AM

Prelubers

Why don't more boaters, especially performance boaters, embrace the prelubers ? They seem totally logical to me.

Hot Duck 04-10-2007 10:57 AM

That's a good question. We are using prelubers from Keith Eickert and they work great. Flip the switch and let them run a few seconds before starting the engines and there will never be a dry start. It certainly can't hurt the engines to use them.

We also use them to change the oil because they have a quick disconnect coupling on one of the lines. We simply connect a long hose to the quick disconnect and run that outside of the boat to collect the oil. Once that line is connected, all we have to do is flip a switch and wait a few minutes for the oil to be pumped out of the engine. It doesn't get any easier than this.

Iggy 04-10-2007 11:08 AM

I can't figure it out either.
If I had an expensive blower motor I'd have one too. The electric units are good. You can prelube, drain and run it after shutdown to help cool the engine.
A few prelubers are pressurized containers holding oil. As the engine runs the oil refills the container for the next start and if the valve is left open as it runs the preluber will help maintain oil pressure if the oil in the pan sloshes away from the pump.

mr_velocity 04-10-2007 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hot Duck (Post 2087968)
That's a good question. We are using prelubers from Keith Eickert and they work great. Flip the switch and let them run a few seconds before starting the engines and there will never be a dry start. It certainly can't hurt the engines to use them.

We also use them to change the oil because they have a quick disconnect coupling on one of the lines. We simply connect a long hose to the quick disconnect and run that outside of the boat to collect the oil. Once that line is connected, all we have to do is flip a switch and wait a few minutes for the oil to be pumped out of the engine. It doesn't get any easier than this.

Yup, makes changing the oil a snap. I wouldn't live without them.

Dock Holiday 04-10-2007 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hot Duck (Post 2087968)

I second that. Best money I ever spent.