First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28 >

First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28

Notices

First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28

Old 01-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28

I am planning on buying my first boat this spring once it warms up a little here in Detroit. I have been "prop kicking" for years now, but am finally ready (well, that is assuming my employer, GM, will be around past March ). I have been around boats since a kid, so I'm not completely new but it will be my first performance boat. I have been researching for quite some time, so I have a good idea of what's involved with the different options.

I have it narrowed down to a few boats really. I like Active Thunder and Pantera 28's, but there are few around. I have also found some Cig Bullet 31's. With some of the good deals out there, I could afford a newer, around 2000 or so, 28. The alternative would be a renovated 88 or 89 Bullet. I'd like a cat, but can't insure one and they have no way to overnight if necessary.

For insurance, I'd need to be under 500 HP on a single and probably under 850 for twins. I think a single EFI motor would be better than carbed twins in the Bullet. But on the other hand, it's a Cig, and a bigger boat. The bullet would be the max I could tow, so any upgrade in size would need a new truck too, which isn't happening for quite some time.

The last concern would be insuring/financing a 20 year old boat no matter how nice.

Overall, I just want to get the opinions of people who have been there and done that already.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If You Go A Single , A 28 Is The Way To Go ,
A 31 Cig With Under 850 Hp Will Be Slow Plus A Lot More Headache Becuase Im Sure It Would Be An Older Boat

Just My 2 Cents
Mike
Old 01-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the 28 Sonic great boat, loved it.And another good looking boat that might fit your needs is a 30 Superboat Y2K. Great looking boat but never owned one but would be on my list for a single engine boat.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boating37
Take a look at the 28 Sonic great boat, loved it.And another good looking boat that might fit your needs is a 30 Superboat Y2K. Great looking boat but never owned one but would be on my list for a single engine boat.
I've checked out both, and they aren't really the top choices for me. Y2k is too small (even for a 30) and has no cabin to speak of. I'd be interested in a Sonic if it was a steal, but haven't seen too many yet that would qualify.

I'm also fairly (actually very) picky on graphics, colors, etc. I'd rather all white or something priced right so I could vinyl wrap.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

One more to throw into the mix would be a 28 Saber.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

By the way... Were all praying that you will have a job in the spring and for many years to come. Good Luck
Old 01-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ona-Mission
By the way... Were all praying that you will have a job in the spring and for many years to come. Good Luck
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I think we'll be OK, when people who can afford to spend actually do, we have a lot of nice stuff out there now.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Registered

Good Luck, with what ever you get, when buying used I will tell you , you can't be but so picky, on graphics.
Just get the newest boat you can, insurance on a 20 year old boat is difficult to attain.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Registered

You might consider a 32 AT.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would think that you boat on lake MI. If so.... bigger the better. Maybe step up to a used Cig?

Darrell.

Quick Reply: First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.