Old 04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

post a picture of one of these rigs......i have never heard of them
Old 04-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the opportunity to ride in one with 525 Mercs and Bravo drives and the boat was awful.... The boat porpoises like crazy and I could not correct it regardless of the trim. I also thought the finish on the boat was marginal at best. The boat looks good from far but its far from good.....
Old 04-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
post a picture of one of these rigs......i have never heard of them
here's a few
Attached Thumbnails Mares cats?-mares.jpg   Mares cats?-mares2.jpg   Mares cats?-mares-cabin.jpg  

Old 04-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Registered

I have been on one with 525s....They need more power..They are lucky to see 85+ with those motors. Though they say it will hit 90+. It develops a hop around 75+ and never comes out of it with the 525's probably would if it had more power. Nice cockpit space, great cabin. I like it but i think it needs the new 700 or more to be a good running. Either have to stay below 75-80ish or go well above 85. I have been told that it should go faster with 525 but i know it hasn't seen better than 87 ish with low fuel... That being said i like them alot and think if powered right they would be a good boat. just have annoying hop at 80ishs speeds..
Attached Thumbnails Mares cats?-im000644.jpg   Mares cats?-im000655.jpg  
Old 04-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Daytona, thanks for the info. Do you think 700's will push it into the 90's?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wstultz
I looked at that one. It is one kick a$$ ride but he is about $20000 out of my relm. I hate to beat someone up on such a beautiful ride like I've gotten beat up on mine. If he's ready to dump it let me know.

Duke, what kind of numbers does that boat run?

Thanks
Stultz,
Not sure on the speed w/ the 700's. I haven't talked with him since he installed them. I know he had 502's originally and I think the boat ran high 70's. Not sure if he is ready to really unload it, however I do know its got LOW hours on those motors.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Originally Posted by duke252
Stultz,
Not sure on the speed w/ the 700's. I haven't talked with him since he installed them. I know he had 502's originally and I think the boat ran high 70's. Not sure if he is ready to really unload it, however I do know its got LOW hours on those motors.

I've got a lot of boats to look at but his is definitely on my mind. Thanks for the info.

By the way, did that boat used to be in Texas on lake Travis?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Registered

I would think 700's would be a good combo for that boat. I would think it could see above 90's probably closer to 100's with the 700's. It is just right on that point of having enough air under it at 87 ish...but not there yet hince the hop or porpise. Though i do know that is with no tabs and drives at 0... the owner says he never touches the trim...he did say if he added trim it didn't seem to change anything. I still feel like it just doesn't have enough power with 525's to get it up over the porpise speed. I was told by other people with a large cat (nortech) that theirs had a porpise from 80ish to 90 and they either had to go over 90 or under 80...So i think the mares has the same issue. Still I like the boat..it has a lot of things i like, nice cabin, swim platform, good cockpit area. My first choice would be one of the 44 or 42 mti's with the cabins (if i had the money) but the mares seem to be cheaper, though i have never seen one with bigger power. Maybe sonic will change that.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The parent Co of Mares and Sonic is in Hudson NH CSI inc its like Kenworth and Peterbuilt being owned by Paccar Inc..
Sonic did not buy Mares CSI bought sonic for the brick and mortor and started building cats there..CSI also just bought a local Jag dealer up here..
Old 04-13-2007, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBODaytona
I would think 700's would be a good combo for that boat. I would think it could see above 90's probably closer to 100's with the 700's. It is just right on that point of having enough air under it at 87 ish...but not there yet hince the hop or porpise. Though i do know that is with no tabs and drives at 0... the owner says he never touches the trim...he did say if he added trim it didn't seem to change anything. I still feel like it just doesn't have enough power with 525's to get it up over the porpise speed. I was told by other people with a large cat (nortech) that theirs had a porpise from 80ish to 90 and they either had to go over 90 or under 80...So i think the mares has the same issue. Still I like the boat..it has a lot of things i like, nice cabin, swim platform, good cockpit area. My first choice would be one of the 44 or 42 mti's with the cabins (if i had the money) but the mares seem to be cheaper, though i have never seen one with bigger power. Maybe sonic will change that.
What about a tab in between the drives, tunnel tab, and a pair of 6 or 700's.

Quick Reply: Mares cats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.