Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lake Havasu, Lake Mead Boaters. I have questions for you. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/155914-lake-havasu-lake-mead-boaters-i-have-questions-you.html)

Vinny P 04-14-2007 06:04 AM

Lake Havasu, Lake Mead Boaters. I have questions for you.

I am in the process of doing some preliminary work for planning my retirement and escape from New York. My wife and I have had enough of this weather and state. I can leave my job in 6 years with a full pension. Still a long ways away, but we are looking into the future. We have been to the south west a few time and both love it. The only thing I dont like is the fact that there is no ocean. Growing up here on Long Island, I have had the Atlantic virtually at my door step. I love running my boat in the ocean and would miss it if we do leave here.
We have been to Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico. Drove around for many miles , been to many places there. I would want to live nearby a lake. While I have never been out on it, Lake Mead is a beautiful place. However, it was very windy the few days we were there. Is this usually the case? How is the housing in that area?
This fall, we are planning a trip to Arizona and Nevada. Lake Havasu is on my list of interesting places to visit. We have never been there. Looks great on the internet. Maybe too hot in the summer months? We have looked ( on line ) at real estate in Lake Havasu city. Looks real nice. Much less expensive than here. How is that area to live? Many homes I have looked at, have a nice sized boat garage on the side of the house. A real nice addition to the property.
We have been looking into places to stay while we are there. Any recommendations?

thanks for any help,

Vinny

Here's Johnny 04-14-2007 01:00 PM

Vinny.........go Havasu so I could have someone to visit over there.......... But seriously the new Mrs and I will be trying to get to Havasu next year.....maby for the Desert Storm run.....I want to look around there myself and see whats what over there.......sorry for hi-jacking.........talk to you later......John

TTT

Vinny P 04-14-2007 01:13 PM

Hey John,

When compared to this place, everything looks good and most times less expensive.

I just finished working on the boat. I got it waxed and ran in the engine. All seems good. I even shoe horned the thing back into the garage without any trouble.

Later,
Vinny

burtandnancy 04-14-2007 05:27 PM

Vinny, Lake Havasu is for kids. Lake Mead is the adult lake. Been boating there since the 60's and have a summer home in Boulder City (on the edge of the lake, and near Hoover Dam. Lake Pacific is only 250 miles west and we boat there too. Yes, there is wind a few days per year, and both lakes mentioned get VERY hot from June thru October, the rest of the year is mild and you may not want to boat in January. When you retire, and if you're 55, there are some very nice communities nearby. PS, Lake Mead has over 1000 miles of shoreline, Lake Powell (in AZ/UT) nearly 2000 miles...

Vinny P 04-15-2007 08:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. Any other thoughts?

tomlesli 04-15-2007 08:37 PM

We have been to Lake Mead twice during our winter (we live in Utah). We had to travel about 400 miles one way, but it was worth the drive time. We were there twice in March, the Lake is very nice the temp was 75-80 degrees. Mesquite is close and a growing area, also 15 miles North of Mesquite is a place called Beaver Dam it is also growing and land is cheap. In most cases at Beaver Dam you would need to purchase property to build on. This would put you approx an hour away from Lake Mead.

JCPERF 04-15-2007 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag (Post 2094544)
Thanks for the reply. Any other thoughts?

Whats wrong with our weather?:eek: :evilb:

Vinny P 04-15-2007 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by JCPERF (Post 2094600)
Whats wrong with our weather?:eek: :evilb:

Nothing at all, if you are a fish or maybe a duck. Its been great here, especially today. :mad:

JCPERF 04-15-2007 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag (Post 2094618)
Nothing at all, if you are a fish or maybe a duck. Its been great here, especially today. :mad:

It is horrible and now all week rain:(

burtandnancy 04-16-2007 12:12 AM

454, and don't forget, Las Vegas is only about 11 rock throws away from lake mead (thats less than 15 miles)...