How many mile can you drive a day

Notices

How many mile can you drive a day

Old 04-17-2007, 09:40 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

On all the pulls I've done to Florida, 1500 miles are done in 24-28 hours. When I start feeling tired I stop at the next rest stop and nap until I wake up then off you go.

On those trips the idea is to splash the rig ASAP then you have 16 beers and sleep like a baby. Don't have 16 190 proof smoothies there is to much drycleaning involved.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done Seattle to LA and back 8 or 9 times last year, only 3 or 4 this year. Another driver can be good, one can sleep the other can drive. Also have done Buffalo to Seattle, and recently Little Rock, Ar to Seattle. Before these trips like to stay up late get my-self accustomed to being up in the wee hrs. The second you feel tired pull off into a rest area, walk around a bit, maybe even power nap 30 minutes. Lit gas stations are better places.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
You can easily do 1000 miles in one day.

But, can you do 2000 miles in two days? I say "no".

Get a friend (I get my 21yo son) to go with you and help drive.

Good luck!
The second day gets tough!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Registered

Some studies have found very similarly reflex times between intoxicated drivers and tired drivers. Personally the 1,000 miles a day sounds like a killer. I usually due close to the speed limit, what ever you do be safe. 500 miles on the turnpike verses I-80 east of Chicago are totally different animals.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I drive from NJ to miami 3 to 5 times a year.
usally straight thru.
the biggest thing is to rest before you are to tired and eat light. ( redbull and coffee )
what are you pulling back?
pulling a trailer a different story.
one mishap and its a long way from home
trailer brakes?
spare tires?
my longest trip was down to miami and picked up a boat to bring back to NJ.
started on a thursday am and back in NJ saturday afternoon,
take your time and pace your self
have a safe trip
Old 04-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't you guys that haul boats legally log your hours? If I hang my DOT numbers on my truck I have to log hours, can't do 1000 miles in 11 hours. If you don't log you face big fines at the weigh stations. When I go with the wife to Flordia I always drive straight through to the Tampa area. Nice boat, I have one similar but black looking for an old Merc Mark series to put on it. Maybe a Mark 58.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:07 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I did 1200 miles once from Grand Junction, CO to Minneapolis, and I can say I will never do it again. Just to hard on yourself.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 216 Likes on 87 Posts

In the last Outlaw Race.....THE CANNONBALL....

Me and two other drivers ....and we ran from Darien Connecticut to Redondo Beach, Calif, in 36 hours and we came in 6th.

We rotated with 3 hour shifts...drive --sleep --navigate

Includes 1 hour in traffic coourt in Ohio.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I'm heading out Wed to pick up the new little boat from Idaho and bringing it back to NJ. Realistically how many miles a day can I expect to put in or actual drive hours? I've never done cross country before, longest trip has been about 700 miles. Can I expect to do a 1000 a day?
longest i did was straight 20hours towing, cleveland to fort lauderdale(1400 some miles) . get some engergy drinks lol.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bowtie
Don't you guys that haul boats legally log your hours? If I hang my DOT numbers on my truck I have to log hours, can't do 1000 miles in 11 hours. If you don't log you face big fines at the weigh stations..
In WA commercial guy's not only face big fine's at the weigh station. They can jail you for 24hrs to ensure you get rested. They also check non-commercial u-haul's (including trailors), Penske trucks, etc to make sure you are not carrying commercial goods. Believe California even personnel rental non-commercial cube vans have to stop at weigh stations. They have stopped me in California and Washington State hauling a non-commercial enclosed trailor. The latter fined me for being over weight as well.....

It's also a good idea to check what states allow what with regards to towing, as well.

Quick Reply: How many mile can you drive a day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.